Can my tattoo be removed? (photos)

Recently I got big (30X10cm) cover up on my chest. It is black ink and you can see through it (and see my old tattoo). live in Ukraine, we do not have advanced technology to remove tattoo. We have Qswitch YAG by Honkon and that is it. I'm planing to remove it in States. I'm scared that tattoo is impossible to remove. Is it true that some kind of ing are impossible to remove? I old tattoo had several places, where you can feel the lines from the needle. I'm also interested in possible price.

Tattoo removal anterior chest

Thanks for your question. This is clearly a professionally done tattoo which says two things- there is a high density of ink (number of ink particles) and a high likelihood that the ink is deep. The fact that there are two layers (old tattoo and new tattoo) further magnifies this. As predicted by the Kirby-Desai scale:
Fitzpatrick skin type (at least a Fitz 3 if not a 4)= 3pt
Tattoo layering (new over old)=yes=2pt
Amount of ink=Significant=4pt
Scarring (texturizing of skin from the tattoo procedure itself)- can't tell from picture- I will assume none=0pt
Location upper trunk=2pt
Pigment black only=1pt (score will be higher if there is colored ink under the black ink which I cannot tell)
=12 points (best case scenario)= 12 sessions likely needed to remove it
While ink is not "impossible to remove" some can be more resistant than others.
Not all Nd:Yag lasers are the same, far from it! I looked at the Honkon site- it lists the laser as being 200mJ device- this is as weak as it gets. The Astanza Trinity system we use has a peak power of 1200mJ. You are going to need high peak power to get deep ink out so don't waste money on treatments with an underpowered system.
As for Picosecond lasers, they have claimed in the past to remove tattoos in fewer treatments but this is often not the case, and many of those systems have sacrificed peak power for speed of impulse so they can definity fall short of clearing all of the ink in some tattoos. Be VERY CAREFUL in your selection. The area you depict is very delicate, prone to scarring if it is not treated properly. You can contact Astanza laser via email through their website- they will be able to tell you the closest site to you that has a Trinity System (or at least the Astanza Duality system which might be enough to treat your particular tattoo). They are located in Texas.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Nashua Physician

Laser Tattoo Removal

Hello. 
We use high technology laser to remove tattoos successfully. We have a hight rate of satisfaction and will be more than happy to assist if you are planning to come to the USA. 
It will take some sessions to remove it successfully but can be done.
In regard to the price, you can get in touch with us to discuss as it will require a close evaluation.
Best of lucks!

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

PicoSure for tattoo removal

Thank you for your question. I’m sorry to hear you are unhappy with your tattoo. You have to wait at least 6 months before you can start the laser treatment to remove your tattoo. PicoSure is the latest in tattoo removal technology. Tattoos are made up of ink that has been placed into the deeper layer of the skin, the dermis. This layer of skin is not shed like the upper layers of your skin, but remains in place, which is what makes tattoos permanent. In order to remove them, the cells that hold the ink have to be removed. The Picosure laser is able to do this in fewer treatments then older technologies, typically 4-8 sessions at 4-6 week intervals and has the ability to treat multicolored tattoos with this same efficacy. Black ink is the easiest color to remove. The price for the procedure varies according to factors such as the size and number of sessions needed. I recommend consulting with a qualified physician in your area for a full consultation.

Bruce E. Katz, MD