Wrinked/lined eyelids?

Hello, I have very heavy eyelids with lines on them. I have been told ( by asking on here ages ago ) that I most probably have a hypertrophied muscle in the middle of my them ( not fat) Anyways, I want to ask if if there's a way that I could get rid of the lines on my eyelids ( before getting the hypertrophied muscles checked) by using cream or something else. I heard of someone using Tretinoin Cream on their eyelids to reduce lines on here. I do not want any plastic surgery as I am only young.

Depends

Hello! The answer depends on whether you're speaking of upper or lower eyelids. 

Wrinkled upper eyelids can be treated with skin removal to some degree since the wrinkles are often due to excess skin. 

On the other hand, lower eyelid wrinkling, if it's the fine wrinkle type, usually responds better to resurfacing with either laser or chemical peel. Retin-A by itself will also yield some degree of improvement and it can be safely used on the lower eyelids. 

Lids can be smoothed out

with various modalities, depending on what the cause is.  If you have lots of skin, an excision would be best.  If its just some wrinkling, you could get by with fractional laser.  And if minimal wrinkling, ThermiSmooth would address that.

Curtis Wong, MD

Best Treatment for Wrinkles on Eyelids, Non-Surgical

Hi E,

Fractionated carbon dioxide laser treatment is excellent for fines lines on eyelids.  Make sure to choose your treating laser physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non Surgical wrinkle removal

Dear Ms Elsaundersx,
Thank you for your questions. Without photos I can give some generalized information
on nonsurgical options (along with example companies) so you can look them up and begin your research.
1) surgery will not remove wrinkles (improve contour and remove excess skin)
2)Non surgical include lasers (CO2RE), RF (Candella Sublative, Thermi Smooth), peels 
(TCA or phenol), topical tretinion (Retinae A)
3)minimall invasive RF (Thermi injectable)
Please make several appointments with experienced Plastic Surgeons who listens to your specific desires and who are not only Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery but in addition ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).
My best wishes,

Dr. R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery

Botox injections followed by erbium laser skin resurfacing might be beneficial

Than you for sharing your question. Without evaluation your condition in person it is difficult to guide you with treatment options. Perhaps, Botox and laser skin resurfacing will improve your eyelids. Make an appointment with an eyelid specialist for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of possible treatment options. Good luck.

Eyelids

Thank you for your question and though an examination is needed, I agree with the other consultants that a chemical peel or laser resurfacing may be your answer

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Let's discuss the different types of wrinkles around the eyes

Dynamic wrinkles: these are the wrinkles that are most prominent when you smile or squint. They are related to the underlying orbicularos muscle over-riding the overlying skin, corrugating it like cardboard. With age, skin loses elasticity and allows the orbicularis to corrugate it. It is a misconception that the orbicularis hypertrophies- however treating the orbicularis with a conservative amount of Botox, even 5-8 units inferiorly, can be useful in reducing the contraction component of the dynamic wrinkles. The other component- the loss of elasticity can be treated the same way the other type of wrinkles are treated- see below. 

Static Wrinkles: are present even at rest and are often the crows feet and fine lines hay are present around the eyes at rest. These lines are related to the age and sun-damage that occur to the facial skin with aging. The eyes have the thinnest skin of the body and so often show aging before, say the cheeks or the forehead. Retinoids, and tretinoic acid (Retin-A) is one of the most effective non invasive treatments around the eyes when used carefully and is best done with customized advice regarding doseage and application.  Hydration with appropriate eyelid skin products also helps to reduce the static wrinkles without more dramatic intervention. If you are comfortable with the idea of intervention then peels and lasers can be quite effective, especially when comb with volume such as fillers or fat transfer that can fill the deeper soft tissues to internally expand the subcutaneous tissues- this further helps the cause of natural peri orbital rejuvenation. 

Hope this sheds light on understanding aging of the skin in the peri orbital region and treatment options. Good luck to you!

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid wrinkles

It sounds like you have a case of eyelid wrinkles and oribicularis muscle hypertrophy from your description. While I don't recommend Tretinoin creams for this area, I do like laser resurfacing or a medium depth chemical peel to try to tighten up some of the lines.  Additionally, trying a unit or so of Botox in the midpupillary line and into the hypertrophied muscle can help relax it a bit.  I would seek out a consultation from a board certified facial plastic surgeon, dermatologist or oculoplastic surgeon.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Many ways to reduce eyelid wrinkles

I have added a link that might be helpful..

Hi elsaundersx.  I do not recommend Tretinoin to be used on eyelid skin because it can cause irritation and swelling.  Since eyelid skin is thin and closely adherent to underlying muscle, smoothing out wrinkles is an ongoing effort as there is constant motion. Notwithstanding, resurfacing with chemical peels or lasers can create a tighter look.  Conservative, specific injections of Botox can help diminish the muscle effect. Application of a good, professional physician grade eye cream is essential regardless of which approach you choose.  Be sure to consult with an ABPS certified Plastic surgeon to review the options, expected outcomes, downtimes, products, etc. that accompany all of the services.  Good luck!