Wound breakdown upper eyelid post upper lower eye surgery (Photo)

Posted 2 days ago and many thanks for Dr's reply . Now changed anti B 48 hours ago wound on eye lid now broken down sloughy and infected swelling remains can see sutures in eye lid.. awaiting swab to check correct anti B . Just wondered if as I am prone to keloid scar s will wound heal alone or do you usually treat infection and resutred for better result. Other eye great and no problem . Seeing Dr next week . Thank you in advance .

Lids wounds heals well

even if they come apart.  And keloid scars are unheard of.  But your fiddling with your lid isn't helping anything as you are putting tension on the incision and could make it worse.  TLC and good wound care will allow it to heal as best possible.  And in the small chance it leave a significant scar, then it can always be revised down the road.

Eyelid Wound Break Down

Thank you for your question and picture.  Unfortunately some patients will get wound breakdown however this does not meant that your scar will heal and keloid.  If the scar is raised or firm a steroid injection can be given to help breakdown.  Alternatively, after the wound is healed massaging in circular motions with moisturiser or bio-oil can help reduce any lumps or raised incisions.  Please make sure you see your surgeon on a regular basis for follow up, they can access the healing process and prescribe any medication needed or course of action

All The Best 

Eyelid surgery wound breakdown

Don't worry! Keloids are uncommon in this area, and if they do happen, they can be treated. This will almost certainly take longer than you want it to, to look good but it will almost certainly heal fine. It sounds like your doctor is managing this very well, so hang in there.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Problems after blepharoplasty

I've certainly seen blepharoplasty incisions separate, and they all end up healing quite well. It may take a couple weeks, but the scar usually is of no concern once healing is complete. Occasionally a steroid injection will be needed if the scar is firm. A true infection is extremely rare. In fact, patients are much more likely to have a reaction to the ointment they put on the incision than they are to get an infection (the reaction can look just like an infection). I would recommend you keep in close contact with your surgeon. 

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Caution with hand to eyelid contact

I realize you are showing your incision line in the photo, but be very cautious with the hand-to-eyelid contact. Often a slight separation causes no problems, but I have seen patients in the office demonstrating the incision by pulling on the skin - not a good idea. See your surgeon as soon as possible for further instructions. Allergic reactions to antibiotic ointments are more common than infections and rarely, patients may have an allergy to petroleum. If this were simply an allergic reaction, you would see inflammation on the other side. I would be cautious with "massaging" - in fact I never recommend massage this early in the healing process and it is rarely necessary later on. Massaging of the eyelid incision may disturb the levator attachment and the eyelid crease fixation. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon