Ultrasound treament for capsular contracture?

4 months post op. 350cc textured silicone under muscle. I have developed capsular contracture in one breast, is ultrasound therapy a successful treatment to have done as i dont want to go back for surgery as i already developed an infection after my first surgery and only one implant for 6 months and had to go back 4 months ago to have the other implant inserted and now i have capsular contracture, also could this be due to previous infection that it has developed? Thanks

Concerned about Capsular Contracture

One of the most common problems is breast capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer #implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of #capsular contracture.Saline implants may deflate spontaneously. When the patient has significant #symptoms, complete or partial leakage of their saline implant, or concerns regarding silicone leakage, it is recommended that the implant is removed and exchanged. Frequently, this is performed on both sides depending upon the age of the implant. Capsulotomy or opening of the capsule may be required or frequently capsulectomy, which is removal of the scarred capsule, is r#ecommended to ensure adequate pocket dimensions.New implants may then be placed in the same existing position or may undergo a change of #placement frequently from submammary to subpectoral position and, on occasion, the other way around.

Ultrasound for capsular contracture.

I am sorry to hear of your problem and it is difficult to tell if the infection caused you capsule to form.  This does happen at for no reason we can tell but the only way to treat you capsule is with surgery.  This could be a release of the scar tissue to release and placement of a graft ( ADM) help keep you soft and natural looking.  I would consult with your plastic surgeon who can help guide you through this problem.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon