I've been told by a surgeon that I am borderline for an uplift after breastfeeding. Any chance of just an implant? (Photo)

I'm only 31 and would like to avoid a lift if possible. I may have another child in the next five years although nothing certain. I hate my breasts now and feel really down about them so don't really want to wait. The surgeon I met suggested having an implant first and seeing how I feel after. He suggested 350, 375 or 400cc but did not mention underscore overs. I would love some other opinions I'm 5"3 and around 70kg. Currently an empty 34C

Good q

This is the most common question I get in my office and the answer is simple. It depends on you. I divide the patients into 3 categories. 

1. Patient who only need implants. For these patients, the easiest way to determine what they want is based on a "wish pic." Try to find a picture of someone who has a similar body to you beforehand. Discussions about cup size or how natural or unnatural rarely help. I even had a patient tell me she wants completely natural breast in the C cup range just like Pamela Anderson.

2. Patients who can have a lift or just an implant. I have found 50% want the former and 50% want the latter. Their nipples may sit at or just above the inframammary fold. For the ones that want a lift, they usually specifically say they want their nipples to be higher and the whole breast to sit higher on their chests. For the one who only want an implant, they usually don't care about the nipple position and prefer to have large implants without the extra scars from a lift. These patients may be little saggy but their wish pictures are also someone who is a little saggy and they like the "natural" appearance of tear-dropped shaped breasts. 

3. Patients who need a lift. Their nipples may be below the inframammary fold or pointing down. Usually these patients also need an implant.

Breast lift and implant combination decision making

This is an important decision that depends on surgeon expertise, your own individual anatomy and the type of result that you are interested in.

To lift, or not to lift

You require a lift to achieve the best result and to restore normal anatomic relationship between the breast and nipple. Good luck and be well. 

Kevin Maguire, MD
Vermont Plastic Surgeon

I've been told by a surgeon that I am borderline for an uplift after breastfeeding. Any chance of just an implant?

Thank you for your question.  One benefit of a breast lift is that the asymmetry caused by sagging on the right side can be corrected.  If you do not mind the asymmetry then a subglandular breast augmentation can increase her volume.  However this will not lift the breast and if you have further pregnancies you may well need a lift.  Please follow the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon. For more information on breast lift please read the following link:

You will better off with a breast lift...

Thank you for the question and pictures. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. Keep in mind, that breast augmentation surgery does not provide a true "lift"; make sure that your goals will be realistically achieved with the planned procedure.  
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Augmentation with or without a lift

You could do the implants alone, but implants alone do not adequately lift the breast when there is significant sagging, no matter the size or the type, and will not produce a good cosmetic result in a patient who also needs some variation of a lift.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue,assessing yourdesired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person and be very realistic about your potential cosmetic result.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation or lift?

Hello and thanks for your post. In my office, patients with similar findings will be recommended a breast lift and implants combination. Implants only will lead to "low big" breasts. Best, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Augmentation vs Lift

If you like the shape of your breast you should be able to get away with just an implant. A breast lift would give you a more youthful shape to the breast and address the excess skin you have. A breast augmentation alone would only address the volume loss. Please seek an in person consultation with a board certified in your area to come up wtih the best treatment plan. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I've been told by a surgeon that I am borderline for an uplift after breastfeeding. Any chance of just an implant

Implants would not lift you or reposition your nipples. The implants alone at this point would make you larger and slowly more saggy. I think that if you are thinking of having children in the future, if you did a lift now, it would certainly need to be repeated after the child is born. So it is a matter of if you are willing to live with larger saggy breasts between now and then. Stretching the skin out at this time will likely require longer incisions from the lift in the future too.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Lift or Not

From the photo it appears the nipple is above the fold, if that is the case you can get a very acceptable result with an augmentation. Of course it requires an examination to be sure.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD