Can you get silicone gel implants that are under the muscle remove on local anesthesia and sedations?

I have had my silicone gel implants for 15 years and I am worried about going for general surgery. I would like them remove ASAP but I was wondering if possible could I have them remove with local and sedations. I don't know if they have a leak or rupture. What should I do

Generally speaking, it is possible ( but not necessarily recommended for every patient) to have breast implants removed under local anesthesia. Factors that may come into play include the location of the incision used for placement of the breast implant, the use of smooth versus textured breast implants, the potential need for additional maneuvers (such as manipulation of the breast implant capsule), specific patient anxiety/pain threshold, and the comfort level of the particular surgeon performing procedures under local anesthesia…
Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.

Your plastic surgeon will be able to answer your question in a more specific/meaningful fashion. I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps.

Thank you for your question.  The safest track would be to have your explantation done under general anesthesia.  This allows for your own comfort, as well as allows the surgeon to do any necessary work that may be encountered unexpectedly during the procedure - ruptured implant, thickened capsule, breast nodule.  Hope that this helps. 

Removal

For safety and comfort, you should have gel implants removed under general anesthesia.  There is always a possibility of rupture.  Allow the surgeon to do his job without having to worry about your comfort and safety.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Silicone gel implant removal

Hello and thank you for your question.  If your implants are old and you are worried about rupture, you should have this done under general anesthesia.  Additionally, many people, after having implants removed, may need certain work or adjustments done to the remaining breast pocket, and in some cases a lift is needed.  When you are under general anesthesia, not only are you more comfortable and less nervous, but your surgeon has the ability to safely perform whatever additional maneuvers are needed to give you your desired result with your comfort and safety in mind.  May I ask why you feel the urgency to have your implants removed?  There is a lot of misinformation about breast implant safety, longevity, etc.  Feel free to contact us so that we may go over your questions and concerns.  Hope this helps!

Sean Kelishadi, MD