What can I do to prepare for a Mommy Makeover? 3 weeks to go...

Hi there, I'm having a mommy makeover in 3 weeks and am worried about the length of the procedure DVT PE & FE ( I feel like I have bad circulation). I want to do everything I can to give myself the best chance. So should I eat high protein low fat & salt diet, drink 8 glasses of water a day and excersise as much as possible? Would it help to wear compression stockings before the operation? If so how long? Should I take Iron Phosphate, CoQ10, Probiotics before too? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks

With regard to DVT prophylaxis, I use the modified Caprini scale which is endorsed by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to assess and prevent DVTs. 

Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Preparing for a Mommy Makeover Procedure

Its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment. 

Mommy makeover

Without knowing much of your medical history I would recommend you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. There are several things we do prior to surgery to help prevent thrombotic events such as sequential compression devices, preop  and postop Lovenox or Heparin and early ambulation after surgery. I do not think taking supplements prior to surgery will help much and some may actually increase your chances of excessive bleeding.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Thank you for your question..
Since you are about to undergo major surgery (involving significant physical and psychological recovery often underestimated by patients and their plastic surgeons) the following words of advice may be helpful to you:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Mommy make-over - preparing for surgery

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Your own surgeon will give you the best answers to all your questions since s/he knows what is planned and details of your health.
  • In general, preparation for surgery means no smoking, no alcohol, a high protein diet, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and moderate exercise.
  • So you are on the right track!
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

What can I do to prepare for a Mommy Makeover?

Thanks for your question Sarah.  Although I can't give you specific information on this site, I can tell you how I approach this very important topic.  All surgeons are actively trying to reduce the incidence of VTE (Venous
Thromboembolism)/PE (Pulmonary Embolism).  Although this is a rare complication of surgery, it is one of the most-feared.  At my surgery center we employ sequential compression devices (SCDs) during surgery and in
recovery.  These devices gently squeeze the calves to maintain blood flow, and have been demonstrated to reduce clots.  Adequate hydration, avoidance of hormonal therapies, and early ambulation are also very important.  Finally, many plastic surgeons (myself included) use an anti-coagulant medications post-op.  The most important thing is that you voice your concerns to your operating surgeon before your procedure, in order to come up with a plan to limit this risk.  Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Preparing for Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon has his own protocol for pre-operative care, but outside of that, staying healthy and not smoking is the best thing you can do to prepare your surgery. Contact your plastic surgeon to ask him/her if there are any other steps they would like you to do to help prepare. Good luck!!!

Kamran Azad, MD
Pasadena Physician

Sarah, every surgeon has their own protocol because they have found what works for their patients. You have a surgeon. Asking for advice here, or even worse following the advice you may get from consultants who don't know you, would be a mistake. Contact your surgeon for all questions of this type and follow only that protocol. After all, that is part of what you are paying for. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Stay healthy and active before your mommy makeover

Eating a normal, healthy diet that provides you with good nutrients is important for healing after a significant procedure like a mommy makeover.  Supplements are often unnecessary, but your surgeon can help you determine which are safe to use before your procedure.  Sometimes the antibiotics you receive before/after surgery can cause alterations in your normal function if you have a sensitive digestive or urinary system, and probiotics can be helpful.

Maintain your usual exercise routine - I would caution against starting anything new or doing anything extreme so close to your surgery date.

Compression stockings can help, but the most important thing you can do to prevent a DVT/PE postop is to stay active.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your mommy makeover.
Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

No particular routine to prepare for a mommy makeover.

Outside of good hygiene in refraining from smoking there's not much to do to prepare for mommy makeover. Any preoperative medications should be used only at the discretion of your own surgeon. Good hydration at the time of presentation to the operating room is a good idea.