Is this normal old blood 5 weeks post op or infection? Rhinoplasty. (photo)

Hi apologies for horrible pic , had rhinoplasty 5 weeks ago with deviated septum whole nose was slimmed , Stopped bleeding 1 week post op and now for 3 days have had this horrible brown stuff in back of my throat not coming down nose at all seems from sinus, go put me on 2 lots of antibiotics but this discharge is now worse and sinus pain thanks in advance Ps is abroad and not responding to me

Is this normal old blood 5 weeks post op or infection? Rhinoplasty.

I would ask the plastic surgeons office who is covering for him or her and see this doctor to evaluate this blood.

Rhinoplasty - Recovery First

You are still early in your recovery period but certainly express your concerns to your surgeon, and follow his/her treatment recommendations to ensure the best result.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Septorhinoplasty bleeding

Hi Looking on the bright side,

Thanks for your question and photo. I am not sure what to make of the photo. It is rare to be bleeding longer than one week after surgery. the brown stuff can be old blood. I would recommend being seen by another surgeon covering for your doctor or a local ER. You may benefit from CT scan to make sure you do not have fracture in one your bones that has not healed properly. Seek medical care sooner rather than later. good Luck! 

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@rhinoplasty @drainage @docmata #drcarlosmata

5week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 5 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, but from your photo and description alone, it is difficult to say whether this drainage is just old blood draining from a formally blocked sinus, or a possible infection, or renewed bleeding.  Check to see if there is another physician covering for your surgeon while he/she is away and  ask to speak to them.  If this is not possible, and your surgeon is scheduled to be away for a significant time, you may want to be evaluated at an urgent care center or emergency room.  Once examined, they should be able to advise you as to how to proceed.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon