Can a Moderate profile anatomical help to close the gap?

I'm very thin, basically flat (after breast feeding 3 babies) 5'9, 120 pounds, and have a bwd of 12cm. All the consultations I've had recommend teardrop implants. I'm fine with these, I like them. I'm wondering though if a moderate profile (mentor) would help to lesson the gap between my breasts. I had chosen a mod plus, but I want a very natural look, nothing more than a generous B! But are the moderate profiles more likely to end up in my armpits?? Even if I stay within my bwd ??? Thanks for any input!

Your chosen surgeon

should easily show you what your chosen implant will do.  Wider implants would help narrow the gap but you also have to be cognizant about where your nipple is in relation to the apex of your implant.  If you gap is your priority, then don't worry about your nipples.  But if you want a natural look, nipple position is important as well as width of your implant.  There are different styles of shaped textured implants and you should pick one that will fill as many of your check boxes for what you expect from your surgery.

Mentor Implants

Hi Ruby,I haven't examined you, but if your PS thinks a mod plus works, then go for it.  This is our most popular implants, and we like Mentor very much. 
Mod plus is not more likely to end up in your armpits (even if c/w your BW).  Yes they fill the gap on many of my patients.
     First and
foremost the implant should fit the dimensions of your breast and tissue cover.
 Balancing the implant to your
over-all body shape and tissue cover is essential.    The main thing is to
have the diameter of the implant fit the diameter of your breast "foot-print".
 Higher profile implants tend to have a smaller diameter.  Higher is really a marketing term, but often
translates into the same volume implant with a narrower base.  Saline implants actually tend to decrease in
diameter as they are inflated!  The average size chosen over our last 7,000 breast implants was
“350cc”.  BUT, 90% of our patients tell us they wish they were
bigger a year after BA.  (We will see you
every year for routine checks at no charge.) It’s like your mind incorporates
the "new you" into your own self-image over a period of time. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients
that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc.
 You can try on implants in the office by
placing them into a special bra.  The implant is also flattened somewhat when under
the muscle, so it is a good idea to bump it up a bit. Approximately 1-ounce (25cc) is added to the final volume to account for
flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket.  Once you decide on a size you like, then add
on 25cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your
tissues.  Multiple measurements need to
be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy.  Have your surgeon's
office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles
of silicone and saline from the manufacturer.  Then you and your surgeon
can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes,
versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at
a surgical plan.  Good luck, I think you are on the right track! All the best,Dr. Joe

Thank you for the question. You are correct in that your anatomic starting point will to some degree determine how much space will be present between your breasts after breast augmentation surgery.  Other factors involved include careful breast implant pocket dissection and careful selection of breast implant size/profile.  Remember (when it comes to breast implant pocket dissection and achievement of ideal breast implant cleavage) that each nipple/areola complex must be centered on each breast mound.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "generous B cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Better cleavage?

Thanks for your question. One tip that will help with cleavage is to use a breast implant slightly wider than your breast width diameter such as a 12.5 cm MM or MM+. You will need to find a surgeon with lots of experience using shape breast implants. Be sure to inquire about the number of cases the surgeons you're seeing have actually performed. Please view before and after surgery results in the link below.
Best wishes always, 

Aldo Guerra, MD