Mini or Full tummy tuck required? (Photo)

I have large amount of fat/skin I can't shift from below my belly button. I don't really like the look of the fake belly buttons, I know I hardly have a good one now but It frightens me, I just want the skin gone and it stretched down. Also I am in the process of lemon scrubbing my fake tan off- please ignore the patches. Many thanks

Full or mini tummy tuck needed?

Hi Horton2,It looks like you are a good candidate for a full tummy tuck.  A mini tummy tuck is a less aggressive form of a full tummy tuck. With a full tummy tuck, most or all of the skin between the belly button and the top of the pubic area is removed, the muscles are tightened all the way up to the ribs, and the remaining skin is stretched down to close the open area. The belly button is usually brought up through the new skin and sewn into place.  With a mini tummy tuck, in contrast, a much smaller area of skin is removed, and only the muscle in the lower abdomen is tightened. The belly button is not relocated. Good candidates for a mini tummy tuck are rare, as most patients with abdominal laxity are much better candidates for a full tummy tuck. Occasionally, a patient will present with isolated lower abdominal laxity and a firm upper abdomen. For these select few, a mini tummy tuck can be a good option.I understand the concern about the belly button looking "fake," but a skilled surgeon can create a rounded, funneled belly button that looks quite natural. Check out my video below to learn more.

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. You are a better candidate for a full TT then for a mini TT. The risk of doing a mini i that in the future you need other work done in the same area. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Full tummy tuck

You are a good candidate for a full tummu tuck , you have excess skin and fat in your whole abdomen, a mini tummy tuck will not offer you good results and probabaly you will need to get more work done in the future. Best Wishes!

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Mini tummy tucks work best when everything above the belly button is tight and flat, and any roundness or skin laxity is confined to the area below the belly button. From your photos, a full tummy tuck would work much better than a mini. More information about the differences can be found on the link included below.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full tummy tuck required?

Thank you for your question. It appears that you have excess skin, and possibly some upper abdominal fullness above your belly button. You would not be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck procedure. I understand your reservation about a full tummy tuck, and the scar that is created around the belly button, however a mini tummy tuck wouldn't treat both areas. Your lower abdomen would be flat, but the upper abdomen would be full with excess skin. Make sure to see a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the details of a full tummy tuck surgery.

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

It looks like you may find better results with a full tummy tuck. A mini tummy tuck removes minimal skin tissue and tightens abdominal muscles below the belly button. The standard tummy tuck can do much more for you, although it will leave you with a bigger scar (which is around your panty line and can reasonably be concealed). You may be able to have liposuction done simultaneously to get rid of stubborn fat deposits in your stomach. This combination is called a Lipoabdominoplasty. The best way to know which procedure is right for you is by scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area. Best of luck!

Michael Chiaramonte, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Hi horton2,

Thank you for the pictures and questions. Based on the pictures you submitted it looks as if you would benefit from a full tummy tuck. I suggest consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. Best of Luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your picture, looks like to me that you would be a better candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening for a flatter abdomen,please consult carefully with a board certified PS. Good luck!

Full tummy tuck

From these pictures it seems like you have enough skin laxity for a full tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in body contouring and tummy tucks for more individualized information. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them.  

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area 
#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

#MiniTummyTuck #TummyTuck - Mini or Full required?

Based on your photos it appears that you would benefit more from a full TT than a Mini.  But this decision depends on what you look like in person (be assessed by a board-certified plastic surgeon) and including your history (weight changes, pregnancies, etc).  The more excess/loose skin you have, the greater the likelihood that you'll need the full to accomplish what you want.  A mini is a great procedure - but ONLY when the area in concern is limited to below the BB, and no diastasis repair is warranted or desired.  That may not be the case for you.  I hope that this helps and good luck, Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500