Just had male breast reduction 2 days ago but I have a dip - is this normal? (Photo)

Hi I've just had gyno surgery with a well respected surgeon. I had lipo and gland removal (he says he removed 4cm and 5cm respectively). I noticed the dip one one side and it looks like it has caved in. I spoke to him and he is sure this will fill out and be fine and any inverted nipple will be normal again when scar tissue pushes it out. My GP also said fat will fill this void. I'm 2 days out of surgery but I do tend to panic about things way too early! Thanks

Don't panic 2 days after gynecomastia surgery.

My advice is to put on your compression vest, put away your phone, take your pain meds and binge watch the first 4 (or is it 5?) seasons of Justified. 

It is way, way too early to know if this depressed area is from over resection of your gland tissue, under resection of the fatty tissue or if the depression is just from swelling of the area around the depression (the most likely reason).

Keep your appointments with your surgeon and don't panic.  

Gyno surgery

It is basically too early to judge your result so try to be patient. All results this early positive or negative may change with time

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Healing & Assymetry 2 Days After Gynecomastia Surgery

Two days is very early into your healing process to judge your final outcome. Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.  Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

In a panic 2 days after gynecomastia reduction

It is excellent that your survived your surgery. Now it would be excellent to let your body heal.
It will take you up to 6 months to see your final result. In the meantime the swelling will subside.
There is no need to panic. Follow your surgeon's instructions, wear the compression vest and don't worry. Best wishes.