Lopsided breast augmentation. (photos)

I am 2 weeks post op and had 270cc round silicon implants under the muscle. I know it's still early in my recovery but my right side just looks so different to my left. I know my right side was always slightly bigger so I'm not too fussed about that, it is more that the scars are in completely different locations. I read that implants under the muscle don't move much.. so will my scars will always be visible when looking at me front on?? Is it too early to voice my concern to my surgeon?

Its never to early to voice concerns to your surgeon

and good surgeons will listen and provide what reassurances are needed to allow their patient to focus their efforts on healing without anxieties.  In my practice, my priority is to have level upper poles since that is what hold up your tube tops and shows over tank tops.  Nipples are rarely at the same position and can be adjusted if needed as implant position is much harder to deal with.  As for your scars, they will fade and ideally be at your crease or just above it.

Lopsided breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Augmentation Healinh and Asymmetry

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

2 week postop

You have reasons for concern, but because you are early, there is still room for improvement. Go in person to see your plastic surgeon now and weekly to make sure that any non-surgical adjustments that can be done are being done. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetries

You are quite early after your surgery.  Because your right arm was elevated in the photos showing the surgical markings, it is likely that your R nipple is a fair bit lower than your left, and it is postoperatively as well.  The nipple height isn't typically corrected unless the patient has some type of breast lift.

Brent Moelleken, MD

I am concerned about my result

Thank you for your question and photos. It is still quite early to judge things but never too early to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck!

Breast augmentation

From the before photo you seem to have minor asymmetry; however, since your hand is raised it is hard to tell if this is real or an artifact. Post-op results clearly show asymmetry. Address this with your plastic surgeon. There are some solutions to non surgically correct a lower implant if done early after surgery. If  this is not possible, wait for at least 3 to 6 months as at this time both implants would have settled down to their near final position.

Matthias Solomon, MD

Magnifying preop asymmetry in breast augmentation

Your preop photo seems to show that one breast sits higher on the chest wall and that the creases were not level to each other. This presents the surgeon with the need to make a choice: lower the higher crease or leave this alone and accept the natural difference your body was made with. I'd suggest discussing with your doctor what their thoughts were in the decision process because there are pros and cons of both. Best would have been to have had this discussion before doing the surgery so you weren't surprised with the outcome.

Too Early to tell

From the comparison of your preoperative photograph, it appears that you started with some asymmetry of not only size but the position of the breast on the chest wall. When the implant needs to be centered on the nipple, the lower breast will appear lower in the postoperative phase and this amount of disparity is sometimes magnified with an underlying implant. It is way too early, in my opinion, to worry about what the exact disparity might end up being as there are so many variables yet left to change. I would recommend you mention this concern to your chosen plastic surgeon at your next follow-up appointment. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS