Does lopidine help with recovery of ptosis or is it just cosmetic?

I had botox between my brows and across forehead 10 days ago. After 6 days, very dramatically my left eyelid began to droop.It feels like it is getting worse with each day ?. It is about halfway closed now. I went to see my doctor and she prescribed lopidine drops which are making a small improvement to the appearance.My concern is how safe are these drops ?. Do they help to speed up the process or are they just to improve the appearance ?. How long is it safe to continue using them ?.

Iopidine for droopy lid

Iopidine will help temporarily but it's a Cinderella effect, it wears off. Some can develop and allergy to the generic form of iopidine.  It will last about 8 hours and also whiten the eyes temporarily.  There are no recommendations for long term use for ptosis or droopy lid and drops like this can also sometimes contribute to or worsen dry eye. Hope this helps.

Nashville Ophthalmologist

Iopidine for Ptosis

Thank you for sharing your question. Sorry to hear about your problem. Iopidine is a great choice to improve your ptosis following the injection of Botox. It will not hasten recovery, but works well for eight hours. Most patients do not have any negative side effects from the use of the drops. Good luck,

Botox - iopidine after droopy lid

Thank you for asking about your Botox.

• I am so sorry this happened to you.
  • When your eyelid itself droops after Botox, the levator muscle is affected and can't fully open your eyes.
  • Iopidine increases the action of an accessory muscle, called Mueller's muscle.
  • it is safe to use but will not affect your recovery -
  • Your eye will recover as the Botox wears off.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your eyelid ptosis.  Iopidine drops do help improve ptosis by stimulating a smaller muscle found in the upper eyelid.  Though it will not speed up the process of correction they are safe to use until the Botox has warn off - anywhere from 3 weeks to up to three months.  Hang in there!

Eyelid ptosis after Botox

The good news is that any Botox side effect such as eyelid ptosis will go away with time.  In skilled hands, the risk of eyelid ptosis should be extremely low.  I can't recall the last time that I saw an eyelid ptosis in my practice.  
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Iopidine for ptosis after Botox

It is purely a cosmetic fix. I will NOT speed up the recovery. It can take an average of about 6 weeks to recover. Iopidine is safe. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lodipine is safe

Iopidine or Lodipine drops just help to temporarily lift the droopy eyelid. They can also cause some pupil dilation and mild blurriness, but they are safe to use and won't cause any long term problems. They will not speed up the recovery of the droopy eyelid, but they do make that eye look better until the Botox wears off. It will most likely take at least 6 weeks, possibly as long as 12 weeks for full recovery. The Botox won't cause any permanent problems.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Iopidine

The drops are very safe and very effective. the medication stimulates Muellers muscle which is under the upper lid to raise it up. since this muscle depends on a different chemical than those that respond to Botox this works and should give a good amount of raising of the eyelid

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Lodipine drops for Botox Droop

Lodi pine helps to raise the eye area if there is a droop.  It will not make the Botox go away any faster.  Best, Dr. Green

Iopidine and ptosis

It's safe to use. It's a glaucoma drop that stimulates a muscle in the eyelid to pick it up a bit.  Don't expect it to pick it all the way up though. It is only cosmetic and will not make the Botox wear off faster.  Give it 2-4 weeks for the ptosis to improve. 

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon