Follow-Up Question: Is this loose skin or is it fat? (photos)

Had a baby nearly 4 months ago. I stand up and my stomach looks pretty flat. I sit or bend and I get this. Is it just fat or is this skin that won't return to normal? This is my second child and due to get married and would like to know if it is achievable to lose this? Thank you

Follow-Up Question: Is this loose skin or is it fat?

It appears the loose skin with small amount of fat. Your baby was born only four months ago, so I would give yourself more time for the skin to contract. It should tighten a little more with time. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

In all likelihood you have mild skin redundancy/laxity and have the subcutaneous fat below it. I don't think exercise will eliminate the "pinch". If it is a great concern a mild tummy tuck with the incision below the bikini line will remove it.

Fred Suess, MD

Post delivery tummy.

Thanks for your photos.  Your skin hasn't had enough time to snap back despite the trim appearance when standing upright.  Consider that it took 9 months to grow and stretch out during the pregnancy, it should take at least that long to absorb the excess, assuming you don't have lots of stretchmarks.  Methods to accelerate the tightening may include microneedling, radiofrequency, ultrasound, or laser modalities in addition to a variety of topical products available.  Best to work with a qualified practitioner, and you should see improvement over 3 to 6 weeks.  A tummy tuck is the fastest and most aggressive method, but I wouldn't recommend it for you until time and the non-surgical results have failed.

Rebounding after childbirth

Congratulations!!

Thanks for posting your question and photos. It takes many month for the body to rebound after childbirth. There are hormonal changes, weight changes and skin changes that all contribute and will need time (typically 6-12 months) to reach a stable point. A consultation with a plastic surgeon to address concerns of loose skin are not unfounded, but I would wait until you are at least 6 month post partum.

Best Wishes!

Rachel Streu, MD

Loose skin or fat after recent second pregnancy.

Thanks for the very helpful photo.  You have a small amount of excess fat only and modest loose skin as a result of two pregnancies.  The little bit of excess fat present would not warrant surgery IMO and might disappear or decrease as you lose more pregnancy weight (though admittedly you're quite slim already).  Meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon for a face to face exam and to receive the best advice and evaluation. Watchthe video above for helpful information.   Regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

You still have loose skin from your pregnancy. This may tighten up with more time. I wouldn't plan to do anything for at least 12 months after a second pregnancy. At that time, you could look into skin tightening with non-operative means like Exilis radio frequency or SkinTyte. A tummy tuck procedure is sometimes needed for severe laxity, but you should wait until you are sure that you don't want more children.

Fat or skin

Pregnancies do not change fat distribution but often cause changes in skin laxity.

If your concern is the change from before your first pregnancy then this is most likely related to skin laxity.

The overall look is most likely caused by some subcutaneous fat and skin laxity.

Liposuction may help improve this.

An examination is generally needed.

The standard treatment for skin laxity is an abdominoplasty. The correct treatment for excess fat is liposuction.

The majority of women who have had children have some of both.

Decision of which would be the best procedure is best done with an inpatient consultation.

Based on your pictures your skin laxity does not warrant an abdominoplasty.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Getting Body Back After Baby--Tummy Tuck and VASER Hi Def

This appears to be loose skin and some fat which can be improved with a tummy tuck and VASER hi-def, which I can often do at the same time. Combined with ThermiRF and ultrasound this will help not only with fat/skin removal but skin tightening. Venus legacy can also give some improvement.  I recommend seeing a hi-def physique expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

All skin has a little fat attached to it that you cannot loose. Your photo shows loose skin. You cannot loose that.. .enjoy your wedding. Congratulations.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Loose skin or fat?

Thank you for asking about your post-baby tummy.

• In the photo, it looks as though you have loose skin, not fat.
  • An examination is needed to be sure.
  • It is fairly early after your baby and may improve as more swelling goes does.
  • Stretched skin is common after having children -
  • Depending on when your wedding is, in another 4 months you might want to see a plastic surgeon to see if some kind of tummy tuck will help you get rid of it.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS