Loose skin or fat? (Photo)

Hello, I'm 26 and had my second baby 12 weeks ago. I would just like to know if this is loose skin or fat on my stomach? I only gained 24lbs in pregnancy and no stretch marks. I am now below my pre pregnancy weight but stomach sags to the side when I lay on my side and I can grab handfuls of skin/or fat. I went completely back to a flat/toned tummy after my first and I gained 20lb more! Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Loose skin or fat?

Hi and thanks for your question. It looks like you have a combination of both though it doesn't seem to be so important. Standing up photos would help much more to see how saggy it looks.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and the photos. It looks like some fat under skin but nothing out of the ordinary. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Loose skin after second baby

Thank you for asking about your pregnancy recovery and loose skin.

• Sadly, with each pregnancy we tend to get more stretched skin and muscle.
  • The second pregnancy has significantly stretched your skin and muscle.
  • Given your fitness, there is little fat to worry about.
  • However, things may continue to improve a bit over the next three months or so.
  • Once you finish having your family, you will need to restore your shape with a tummy tuck.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Fat and loose skin combined

But it looks real normal, not bad. The reason why it is probabily more evident if stand up is because the abdominal wall is a little weakened after second pregnancy. To improve or reshape this area you can choose a combination of exercise/diet or a good liposuction procedure. The question will be how hanged will it look after that, and the answer is in your skin elasticity( impossible to check it by photos) and surgical technique and expertise applied in Lipo procedure.

Loose skin or fat?

Congratulations on your new baby. The area that you are pinching looks like a small amount of fat under the skin. However, your skin looks great after having a baby and well continue to shrink over the coming year. But weeks is very early after having a baby, and your body will still continue to change over the next nine months. My advice would be to enjoy your new baby and not consider any surgical treatment for the next nine months.

Skinny or fat

The changes related to pregnancy are usually skin laxity and muscle separation.

Pregnancy by itself without weight change does not change women's fat distribution.

It's hard to say based on the pictures.

You could re-post with pictures of you standing and not pinching your skin.

This will give a much better assessment if you have significant skin laxity.

My best guess is you have some skin laxity and a fair amount of subcutaneous fat.

Women who his abdomen bulge after pregnancy often have muscle separation as well.

An in person consultation will give you the most accurate assessment.

You may be a very good candidate for liposuction (removes fat only )since you appear to have at least some fat.

If more children are in the future then an abdominoplasty (mostly treats loose skin and muscle separation ) is not appropriate at this time.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Are you a candidate for a liposuction?

Far more important than deciding if liposuction is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Fat or skin after pregnancy

Thank you for your question. 12 weeks after having your baby you look wonderful.  I think you need to give yourself more time to recover from child birth.  It can take up to a year postpartum before you see maximum skin tightening.   After that if you are still unhappy with the way that you look I would suggest having an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are.  You may not need liposuction.  There are non surgical treatments that are available such as vanquish and coolsculpting.  I would however wait and see how your body progresses with time.  Congratulations on your new baby.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Loose skin or fat? (Photo)

I would give it more time and see how things progress.  It can take up to a year postpartum  before you will see maximal tightening of the skin and underlying abdominal  muscles.  If there is still some fat excess in that area make an appointment to see a board certified plastic surgeon to have it evaluated.  You might be a candidate for liposuction or possibly something noninvasive such as CoolSculpting.  Congratulations on your new baby.