Is it better to get lipo looking like this or 2nd picture? (Photo)

I'm going in for a tummy tuck and lipo to flanks and upper lower abdomen. This may be a silly question but as I am fairly lean at the moment would I be better of gaining a little fat just before surgery? I'm really struggling to get the last bits of fat off these areas. If I had more fat before surgery would it be easier to break down and suction out. I really want to get as much fat cells out of those areas as possible. I have covered the crease in my lower abdomen in first picture

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

Generally, I recommend for patients to be as close to ideal body weight as possible prior to liposuction. I suggest a formal consultation with a VASER HI DEF body shaping physician who can contour and shape while also using fat to lift and sculpt. Best, Dr. Emer

Weight Gain Not Recommended For Tumescent Liposuction

Hi se14london,
Thank you for your question and photos.

If I had a prospective patient approach me with your physique (from your photos) I would question the need for abdominoplasty. Based on the in-person assessment, I would advise tumescent liposuction with local anesthesia using a microcannula for the fine tuning and finesse sculpting your body would require. Or suggest a non-invasive treatment to target the stubborn areas.

Weight gain before surgery is not advised as it imposes risk. Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Klein, MD
San Juan Capistrano Dermatologic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty or liposuction?

I have looked at your pictures several times and recognize that they are quite different.  The second one raises the slight suggestion that you might benefit from minimal liposuction but reviewing both suggest to me that you are not at all a candidate and will not benefit from an abdominoplasty procedure.  Photos can be deceiving and it is best to be seen in a face-to-face consultation but I would be cautious of you proceeding without getting a second opinion.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss options to be sure that you are not proceeding down the wrong path.Best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Planning a liposuction

Thank you for asking about your body make-over.
  • I would not gain weight before surgery - you should be at your normal weight.
  • It isn't clear to me what your surgeon will accomplish for you -
  • Your muscles are not separated and the skin does not appear very loose -
  • You may just need liposuction -
  • Or else, the photo isn't telling the whole story.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Do not gain weight

Do you not gain weight. In general patients should be at their very best before seeking cosmetic surgery.

This is especially true for liposuction. Based on your pictures I seriously question you having an abdominoplasty.

You may have some skin laxity but it does not look like it warrants a abdominoplasty.

No matter how talented the plastic surgeon is a i'm Domino plasty will still leave some unnatural shapes, contours and scars.

to me you look great as it is.

Well done liposuction can help give better definition and take some of your subcutaneous fat off.

If you had a consultation with someone who recommends an abdominoplasty then I recommend having several second opinions(I guess it's not a second opinion if you have more than two).

Make sure you're in the hands of an experienced, ethical and talented board-certified plastic surgeon.

continue with weight loss and exercise.

Based on your pictures with further weight loss an continued exercise you may not need any intervention.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD