Initial surgery in 2002. I'm wondering what a revision would entail, would I need a graft & would I be a good candidate? (photo)

Original nose was long and pointy but straight and symmetrical. Felt it projected too far and hated my profile. Primary rhinoplasty was botched and surgeon responsible for many other substandard surgeries. The things I don't like about my nose now: The nostril show The bulbous assymetric tip The shape of my nostrils The angle of the upturn

Initial surgery in 2002. I'm wondering what a revision would entail, would I need a graft & would I be a good candidate?

Dear AuroraIn my opinion, your revision will be complex requiring multiple septal cartilage grafts including septal extension and lateral strut grafts as well as possibly additional ear cartilage grafts. The septal extension would de-rotate your tip and the lateral strut will reshape your tip and ala and reduce retraction. You might also need an only graft from your ear if you don't have enough septum. You are likely to have a nice improvement of your concerns. Look for an experienced and well trained Plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery. See more than one consultation and make a well informed decision.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty to Correct Nostril Show, Bulbous Tip, Upturned Angle

You appear to be a good candidate, not just because of your photos, but because you have clearly identified your issues.  I see in your photos what you do: the asymmetry of the tip, the nostril show (which relates to the upturned angle), the asymmetry of the tip.  Yours is a case that would require the open approach to bring length and symmetry to the tip, correct the rotation, and improve the nostril show. Please make sure you do your research and find a board certified plastic surgeon with many years of experience in revision rhinoplasty. 

Revision rhinoplasty for the short nose etc.

Your short5 nose etc san be revised to look much better with a septal extension graft done by a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. You can see my results on my website and on other surgeons as well.

Revision Rhinoplasty Concerns

Thanks for sharing your post and interest in revision rhinoplasty information. You have identified the major tip, nostril and profile issues. Specifically your photos seem to show that your nose previously long and pointy nose was made too short and over-rotated in the tip. Revising your nose would involve adding back some length, retrodisplacing your tip and improving nostril symmetry and support. Some additional profile changes and soft tissue improvements would also be helpful. You have lived with this nose for awhile now and I congratulate you on researching information on a revision. Your case will required an open approach and cartilage grafting for lengthening and reconstruction of your nose. The degree of difficulty and complexity is high in my view, so I recommend you find a true, experienced and reputable surgeon who routinely performs revision rhinoplasty. Natural and softer results are achievable with the selection of the appropriate surgeon. Please take the time to consult with several doctors and base your decision on your comfort level with a doctor who believes that your nose can be improved and has the portfolio of proven success. Stay positive and best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon