Implants 18 months after mastopexy, is this a feasible option or would there be too much scar tissue? (photos)

Hi...so I had an uplift 18 months ago. At first I was pleased with the results but as time has gone on I feel as though they are sagging a lot! I have lost a cup size in the last few months but haven't lost any weight! I wear a 34 dd bra but they seem to be far to big. What are my options to get the fullness at the too of the breast back. Would an implant be more tricky due to the scar tissue that's there? Will I be faced with the same problem in a few years time even with the implant in?

Implants after breast lift

It looks like you have a very nice result after your breast lift!   You can definitely get implants after a breast lift.  Scar tissue will not be a problem.  My concern is you state that you are already too big.  Implants will definitely make you bigger!  Unfortunately breast lifting will not result in long lasting upper pole fullness.  If you can tolerate a small increase in size then a small implant (maybe even as small as 200 cc) will give you the shape you desire.  Good luck!

Implants 18 months after mastopexy, is this a feasible option or would there be too much scar tissue?

Placing implants after having the lift would be very reasonable and would accomplish your desires of more fullness.

Implants after a breast lift?

Dear kate2106, what you're experiencing is what naturally happens to lifted breasts.  They settle as the skin stretches and they loose upper pole fullness.  That's why the great majority of lifts I do are done with implant placement.  A lifted breast can be augmented.  Even a reduced breast can be augmented.  It maybe a little bit more challenging but it can be done safely.  I have to congratulate you because the result of your lift is very nice and natural but I understand your desire of more fullness.  One word of caution!  The larger the breast the quicker they drop. Good luck!

Juan A. Brou, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Implants after Mastopexy

You have a beautiful result from your breast lift. However, natural breasts lack fullness in the upper portion, and this gets worse as we age. A breast lift does not address this - it merely places the nipple and areola back up in a more youthful position. An implant is certainly what could help you obtain a more full, rounded result. There is little scar tissue within the breast itself after a lift. After a year and a half, you should be fine to have another procedure. In the past, many plastic surgeons separated the breast lift procedure from the augmentation. This is to help preserve the blood supply to the nipple. Today, it is very common to put the two procedures together. Therefore, a breast augmentation is very safe many months (or years) after a breast lift (Mastopexy). 

Good luck!

Implants following Mastopexy

You had a wonderful mastopexy result! I understand that you feel that you sagged, but that is normal- initially the skin envelope is tight and the breasts are high- but over time the skin will stretch slightly and the breasts will come into their position/shape. You had a great result and very natural looking breasts.

If you want more fullness superiorly or want larger breasts- then yes...an implant can be placed. There should be no issue with scar tissue. But again, over time- implants also will settle. I think you need to speak with your plastic surgeon and discuss what your goals are and how to best reach them. Good Luck.

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Implants are always a possibility

following a breast lift and often done due to changes with the breast when healing.  If you just want more fullness in the upper poles, fat grafting would do that without the costs and risks of implants.  But if you want a lot more size, then an implant will be needed.  Talk with your surgeon and see what is more feasible for you to accomplish your goals.

Curtis Wong, MD

Implants 18 months after mastopexy, is this a feasible option

Yes, you should be able to proceed with breast augmentation surgery. What you describe is not an uncommon occurrence; patients wishing to proceed with breast augmentation surgery after previous breast reduction or lifting operations.

Careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals will be important. In my practice, I find that this communication is best done with the help of goal photographs and computer imaging.

Implants after Mastopexy

Your result looks good. Have you discussed your concerns with you surgeon. Implants are certainly an option but you may want to discuss with your doctor.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation After Mastopexy

If the implant is placed via an inframammary incision, which you might already have, there will be really no encounter with scar tissue. Regardless, placement of implants is common after breast reductions and mastopexies (uplifts). Your surgeon did a very nice job. Go back and get your implants. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implants after breast lifting

Your doctor did an excellent job for you and it is certainly reasonable to add implants to give some more upper pole fullness. In fact, it is generally safer to separate lifts and implants by 4 months or more anyway. 

It wasn't clear from the question whether you thought your bras were too big or that your breasts were too big. Implants WILL make you bigger.