I had a septorhinoplasty 1.5 weeks ago, today the cast has come off and I'm horrified with the results, what can I do? (Photo)

My nose looks so wide and big compared to my face and looks a little 'piggish'. I understand the nose is still swollen but I can't bare to even look in the mirror. The tip was lifted slightly as the surgeon said my nose was drooping, I had a slight bump in the middle of nose that had to be straightened but now It looks so big. The doctor was very happy saying I now have a straight nose but I'm not. Is there anyway I could have it looking less 'piggy'

Dear anayakkhan, You most certainly have extreme swelling especially compared to the narrowness your pre-operative photographs show. Please see your surgeon and discuss different therapies, medications and post operative instructions to help reduce your swelling. You will need to wait for the recovery process to move further along before making any judgements. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

The appearance of your nose will certainly change from what it looks like 10 days after surgery.  Your nose will continue to undergo changes for the entire year after surgery, while 60-80% of the changes will be evident in 3-6 months.  Follow up closely with your surgeon to ensure the best result, and try not to fixate on the day to day variations of your nose while it heals.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Post Operative Rhinoplasty Concerns

Though it is truly too soon to judge the result of your rhinoplasty, I can understand your concerns regarding the amount of skin and soft tissue swelling you seem to have compared to where you started. Assuming that you are not experiencing a post operative infection, ask your physician about prescribing steroids for a short time to help reduce the swelling. Sometimes medications, surgery, adhesive tapes and nasal splints cause an allergic type reaction which responds favorably to steroid therapy. With the passage of time, you should begin to see the improvements from your surgery. Work closely with your doctor, who you say was happy with your case, and ask for support during this initial recovery.

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon