I need a Facelift and I'd like a lip lift too. If I want to separate these two procedures - which should be done first?

Lip lift and facelift

Thank you for your question.  Your preference and concern should drive the order of procedures.  As you decide keep in mind the following.  The facelift is the more visible recovery and usually requires anesthesia.  Lip lifts has a shorter recovery and can be done under local.  You may want to consider doing the procedures at the same time so you have a overlapping recovery process.

A facelift and adjustment to the lip can be done at the same time.

Lip augmentation as part of a facelift is commonly done. Other procedures to change the shape of the upper lip, although done less frequently, can be performed at the same time as a facelift.

Facelift or lip lift first

I would recommend the facelift first since you can get some raising of the lips after this procedure.

Staging facial operations

Hi and thanks for posting your question!

Staging facial operations is not unusual. I typically suggest that my patients have facelift procedures prior to performing perioral (around the mouth) procedures. After recovering from their facelift approx 2-3 months later is the earliest I'd have them consider another procedure. You should have an open and honest conversation with your plastic surgeon about the best recommendations for your best outcomes.

Best wishes!

Rachel Streu, MD

Hello Dod62,

Although it wouldn't be much to perform both of these surgeries at the same time, if you did want to stage them I would do the facelift first.  This is because this is the larger of the two surgeries so once you are healed form that, the next recovery would be that much easier.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

A facelift and a lip lift can easily be performed at the same time. If you want to stage them, either can be done first. However, most patients who decide to stage them do the facelift first as it is the bigger surgery.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

I need a Facelift and I'd like a lip lift too. which should be done first? = Facelfit first!

Patients that would like to stage plastic surgery procedures should consider undergoing the "bigger" procedure first and then the "smaller" procedure second. For example, in my practice if a patient is interested in undergoing a facelift and a lip lift at two different times, I highly recommend to do the facelift first and then the lip lift. The reason is that it is better psychologically to undergo the most extensive recovery first that an easy one. 

John Mesa, MD

Facelift: information

Dear Ms. Dod62,

Thank you for your questions.

Sequencing will not effect your final results.

These two procedures are often done together at the same operative event.

I recommend that you make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally they are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Together

Do both procedures at one time. If your board certified plastic surgeon has experience and training, he can explain your options.Discussing filler options is a good idea as well.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and lip lift

Hello dod62-
If you know that you are going to get a facelift and lip lift, go ahead and do them at the same time. If you are unsure about the lip lift then make sure that you have first considered lip fillers and see how they have improved your appearance and whether you really need to physically shorten the distance between your upper lip line and your nose. Pictures would help. 
Dr. A.