Will my nipples heal to a normal shape? (Photos)

Hi I had a BA with benelli lift just under three weeks ago. Just wondering if my incisions look abnormal as they aren't round and the knots from the dissolvable sutures (monosyn 4.0) have sunk in causing holes

Will My Nipples Heal To A Normal Shape?

Congratulations on having what appears to be an excellent breast lift/augmentation!  The Benelli mastopexy is a very sophisticated way of doing a lift with minimal to no scarring.  There are so many different vectors of force tugging in different directions, especially at three weeks that it is hard to say how circular the final outcome of your Benelli is going to be.  The beauty of a Benelli is that you avoid both the vertical and the horizontal scars seen in a standard lift, and also the vertical scar which is hard to control in the lollipop lift. 

The indentations from your dissolvable sutures, in my experience, heal themselves, and once all the circumareolar wounds have healed, taping the margins of the areola can correct both elevations and depressions.  Your surgery appears to have been done correctly.  Any attempt to revise the surgery would start the process all over again multiplying the number of forces, again leading to an irregular non-circular shape.  

If you were my patient, I would allow all of the circumareolar dents and divers to heal, remove unnecessary dissolving sutures, tape the margins of the areola with special tape containing linen which will flatten out both hills and valleys.  At 90 days once there is a true picture of the final appearance of the areola, I would do medical tattooing which we routinely do at my surgery center to match both the color of your areola and make the two areola circular and equal in size.

Again, you are to be congratulated on choosing a knowledgeable plastic surgeon who saved you from excessive scarring and yet got you a lift.  It is now time to sit down with him or her and voice your concerns about the irregularity of your areola at three weeks.  Since he or she has done an excellent job up to this point, I would recommend trusting his or her opinion in the recovery phase of your breast lift/augmentation.  As you can see, well done cosmetic plastic surgery is a process and not an event.  Now it is time to see what your surgeon's game plan is for the recovery phase of your breast surgery.

Breast lift incisions

Your incisions look fine- it is a common question that you have after the peri-areolar lift as the bunching of tissue that is needed for this lift can look a bit wonky after surgery.  Rest assured that all will settle down with time, and your photos look great.

Dr. L

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Tuberous Breasts

I appreciate your question.

Your incision appears to be well healing healing at 3 weeks post op.  It will continue to evolve over these next months.  Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Benelli's are oversold

and what you have is typical for an early result.  Despite what Dr. S from Honolulu says, the many plastic surgeons use Benellis only if its the only option available or the patient is demanding it.  Besides flattening projection, the scar is unpredictable and if a permanent suture was used to cinch the skin around the areola, it will leave a palpable edge.  Your scars will improve but will it be a perfect circle?  Unpredictable.

Curtis Wong, MD

Irregular areola

It is not unusual for there to be irregularities around the areola following a benelli lift. This will change a lit over the coming months and you should keep in touch with your PS during this time.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Will my nipples heal to a normal shape?

Three weeks after a breast aug with a Benelli mastopexy is a bad time to judge the incisions and your areolae.  Allow at least 3 to 6 months for healing before judging.  The last photo shows very nice positioning of your nipples and areolae at this early-stage and as the implants settle I think you will have a nice result. I cannot judge the quality of the scars at this stage but would recommend that you give it time to heal and be patient.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Will my nipples heal to a normal shape?

The incisions should heal fine but it will take a few months to get more smooth. I'm afraid the slightly irregular shape you see is probably the shape you are going to keep. We saw this a lot years ago when the Benelli was closed with a cinching suture. If you wind up having a revision to get a rounder shape be sure the surgeon closes with the wagon wheel technique which has eliminated most of these problems. But that should not be attempted for several months and maybe even a year.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Benelli lift - worried about scar

Thank you for asking about your Benelli lift.

It will take at least six months for the incisions to improve. Ask your sugeon for recommendations on scar care - topical silicone strips such as Scar Fade sold in pharmacies can be helpful. If the final result is disappointing, an office revision can be done.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Benelli Lift

You were not really a good candidate for a Benelli lift, and would have not only gotten a prettier breast shape, but finer, more predictable scars with round areola that won't expand over the next 3 months. Your scars are already spreading, and your areola will follow. Your breasts are flat, nipples low, and your inframammary pole sags (sorry for being honest). Consider a revision in 6 to 9 months with an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Peri-areolar scar quality with breast lift surgery #plasticsurgery

One of the issues I see with peri-areolar breast lift techniques is scar irregularity, widening and breast shape flattening. My preference is to use a vertical lift technique in just about everyone - scar quality is so much better and I have more control over breast shape with this technique.