Full abdominoplasty with liposuction and muscle repair

I'm scared...my op is in 6 days and I'm worried about the pain and mobility .What pain relief will I get post operatively as I'm in the UK. Many thanks

Anxiety prior to elective surgery is normal but ask your surgeon about a pain pump or long acting local anesthetic to decrease the pain

Dr Corbin

Post Op Pain

Thank you for your question. Many people worry about pain and discomfort after surgery. Many of my patients find that the reality is not as bad as expected however you should expect to be uncomfortable, swollen, sore and somewhat limited in mobility for at least a couple weeks. Following your surgery, your doctor will prescribe medication for pain and give you instructions on how to care for your wounds. It is important to listen to your doctor’s advice and come in for your follow-up appointments.

You should keep physical activity to a minimum for at least three weeks in order to ensure that you do not injure yourself.  No abdominal muscle workouts are allowed for six weeks.

Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about what to expect and how to manage pain.

All the best

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Healthy fear is ok. It is totally normal. Every surgeon gives a different type of narcotic for pain. Not sure what you will get. It is going to be sore the first week or two but you will do well. Just stay on top of taking you medications right away and do yourself a favor. Start taking a stool softener right now today every day before your surgery. The narcotics will constipate you like no other and often times pain from surgery is do to bloating constipation, not the surgery itself. You will do great, best of luck. Cheers.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Full Abdominoplasty with Liposuctiion.

Your pre-operative anxiety is very normal, and not at all uncommon. This is the time when you need to be most-engaged with your surgeon's office. The more questions that you have answered, the better you are going to feel about the whole process. As a profession, we take the care of all our patients very seriously. Your plastic surgeon will want to hear about any concerns that you may have, particularly with regard to his/her plan for post-operative pain control. Best of luck to you.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Anxiety prior to Full abdominoplasty with liposuction and muscle repair

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible. Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, other important "variables" such as anesthesia provider and surgery facility will be selected based on everyone's first priority: safety. This careful selection should give you some peace of mind that you will be safe around the time of surgery. 

***Discuss your specific areas of concerns with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to help you calm your nerves.  I ask my patients to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery; this “calmness" tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon), and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure.

Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their recovery is completed.

Best wishes for smooth surgery and an outcome that you will be very pleased with.