Do I need a facelift? 23yr old (photo)

I want to get rid of the two visible lines (folds/tears) and the sag that is between them as shown in the picture. Will filler or fat graft be enough ti produce a good result or is a facelift more appropriate?

Facelift and age

It isn't a matter of your age, but  your overall health—physiologic age is more important than chronological age. Whether you can have a face lift or not will depend on her general health, which will need to be assessed by a doctor. You may be a candidate for a "mini facelift" such as the LiteLift™, which is a simpler facelift procedure.

Which technique is appropriate?

Thank you for your question. The good news is that I don't think you you will need a full facelift to treat your concerns - that being said, there are certainly other options available that will help you achieve your goals. Fillers are a common and reliable approach to treat many of the concerns you mentioned. That being said, the approach to facial rejuvenation is quite complex, as there are surgical and non-surgical options, and among non-surgical options, invasive and non-invasive approaches. All of these techniques have their place and when used in the right patient lead to good results and happy patients. This 'matching' process of patient to technique/approach is very detailed and nuanced and requires discussion and physical exam. I would suggest a formal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon so your specific concerns can be gone over in detail, a physical exam be performed, and individualized recommendations be made. Good luck!

Do I need a face lift?

Thanks for your question and your photos.

It is my opinion that improving the look of a more youthful appearance in the mouth area would best be addressed with dermal fillers. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm 23--do I need a lift?

Impossible to give you true medical advice on this forum.  However, you look like a candidate for in-office volumization with filler.  An in-person consultation with a facial expert would help determine what is right for you.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift?

You do not need a facelift, it will not correct the lines that you are concerned about.  You will more likely benefit from some volume augmentation, either with cheek implant or filler or a combination of materials.  This will help reduce or eliminate the lines that you see now.  

Tom D. Wang, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable Fillers

Thank you for your question. Injectable fillers would be the ideal treatment for adding volume in the tear trough area at your age. I would recommend an in person exam to determine your candidacy.

Dr. Leonard Lu

Leonard Lu, MD

Fillers and fat transer

After reviewing you photo it appears that fillers and fat should be adequate for the desired result you are looking for.

Fred Suess, MD

23 year old with normal folds of the face

As you have probably heard from my colleagues, with your age and what is seen, fat and dermal fillers are your best solution.  You do not need a facelift, but consider these less invasive options.  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 23?

At your age and based on the photo you submitted, you are not in need nor are you a candidate for a facelift. If the creases are really bothersome to you, I would recommend trying a dermal filler first prior to considering anything more permanent.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

On the indications a small amount of filler in the tear trough.

In my opinion you are being too self-critical. The only indication I can see for any treatment is a bit of filler in the tear trough. Remember to take good care of your skin.