Exercise after full tummy tuck?

I had a full tummy tuck but no muscle repair. I'm still a bit tight 14days on and can't fully stand straight as I feel a pull under my ribs. However would it be safe to do some light cardio such as on an exercise bike or cross trainer? I feel like I am putting weight on as I am doing very little activity in a day! Scar looks good, almost healed bar a few scabs. Pre op I was fairly fit doing HIIT 3-4 times pw. Age 33, nonsmoker/normal weight

Resumption of activity after a tummy tuck

This is a very good question but one that should be answered by your surgeon. Most surgeons would limit your activity for a least a month following this procedure. Factors that would determine when it is safe to resume activity include the extent of surgery, your underlying health, and your condition and progress during the healing process. These are issues that can be best evaluated by your surgeon. 
I hope you are enjoying the results of you surgery. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Resumpton of activities after tummy tucks

should ALWAYS be determined by your surgeon.  If you go back to early and develop complications, your surgeon will have to deal with it so ask your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Exercise following tummy tuck surgery

Hi, Thank you for your question.

You will be able to begin a light exercise such as walking following a tummy tuck surgery, However a cardio exercises such as biking and cross training, should be resumed atleast 6-8 weeks following surgery. It is still best to consult this with your own surgeon so he can specify when can you resume your activity. 

Boonchai Taweerattanasil, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Ask your surgeon about exercise after tummy tuck

Although your recovery and return to exercise will be quicker without muscle repair, your own surgeon can best advise you based on your specific situation. You should at least be able to take walks and start ramping up gradually.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck post op

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to speak with your operating surgeon first whenever a question regarding your personal recovery is brought up.  However, in our practice if a pattient's recovery has been uneventful, they may begin mild exercise such as walking.  Depending on how the patient is feeling, the third or fourth week after surgery they may resume such activities as light jogging, light aerobics, arm exercises, and mild leg exercises. 

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Exercise After a Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty

This area has become a little controversial.  The conservative surgeons would say that you should wait 4 to 6 weeks to resume exercise.  However, with a rapid recovery approach you should be able to start exercising as early as a few days after surgery, even if you had the muscle repaired.  

I have added a web link and video for more information for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to exercise four to six weeks following a tummy tuck. 14 days sounds a little early to begin cardio if you are still sore.  It is best to have an in-person examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.