Concept face and neck lift.

What are the first three days after surgery like, are they very painful, could someone be specific as I am a very nervous patient.

Facelift Recovery?

While "conceptually" a facelift sounds like it could be painful, in reality there is very little discomfort. Most patients do not require anything stronger than Tylenol within a couple of days after surgery. What should make you nervous however is the branded name of the procedure. While there are numerous variations on facelift techniques, despite all the claims about new "revolutionary" procedures all the marketing blather does not hold up to close scrutiny. You may have heard of the Lifestyle Lift? That was another branded "revolutionary" facelift procedure that promised miraculous results with minimal downtime and an easy recovery. The procedure has been discredited and the Lifestyle network has gone bankrupt.  It's all about selling you on something that sounds special, but is substantially no different than any other limited incision mini-facelift done under local anesthesia. If you are a nervous patient that is definitely not the way to have your surgery performed.

Who is a Lite Lift™ Candidate

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.

The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. But whose skin has elasticity with well defined bone structure. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic may also be a candidate for a Lite Lift™.

It is also possible to #combine #surgeries. In fact, I commonly recommend other procedures to go accompany a facelift, such as blepharoplasty or a midface (cheek) lift, to name a few. The combination of multiple of facial procedures may create an optimal result.

Facelift

Thank you for your question. There will be swelling and bruising after the procedure is completed, but after a few days this will slowly start to diminish. There is much that is required for the healing process for a facelift. Nevertheless, if you follow our post-op directions, you will be able to see the changes within a few days and will be able to return to normal activities within a few weeks. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to learn more about the recovery process.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift should not be painful

I usually tell my patients that if they are having pain after a facelift, there is a problem! Often facelift patients tell me they never took a pain pill. Although it is cumbersome wearing the jaw bra for a week, pain is usually not an issue unless a hematoma has developed. All in all, a facelift is just a 2 week inconvenience, but not a terrible procedure to recover from.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift recovery

In all honesty, recovery from a facelift is fairly pain free. Most patients are off pain medications within 2-3 days and many don't take anything stronger than a Tylenol. You do need to sleep with your head propped up which can be an adjustment for some and you will experience "tightness" of the skin and swelling following your surgery, but this will dissipate within the first 7-10 days although it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for your final results. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar 

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Face and neck lift

With the facelift procedure we are working with skin, soft tissue and facial muscles. Due to swelling after surgery, you may feel some tension and tightness. However, most patients are off pain medication two to three days following surgery with little discomfort. We ask our patients to sleep propped up to decrease any swelling and to ice the first two days to slow that initial swelling post surgery.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Pain after a facelift

Thanks for asking! Typically patients experience minimal to no pain after a facelift. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor or nurses prior to surgery, it's important to have good communication with your surgeon and staff. Good luck to you!

Scott C. Lindsay, DO
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Facelift

Thank you for your question!  Pain after a face and/or neck lift is usually minimal, and is easily controlled with pain medications.  Most patients will complain of "tightness" in the face, and also in the neck, which resolves over the course of a few days.  It is important to let your surgeon know if you experience more pain than normal, as this could be a sign of a post-operative problem.  Be sure to see a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who specializes in facelifts.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concept face and neck lift.

Facelift surgeries performed by experienced plastic surgeons rarely cause any pain and minimal discomfort after surgery.  I must say however that I do recall seeing a patient who had had a facelift three years earlier by a poorly trained doctor who was suffering from multiple problems including chronic pain.  This should not have happened and is easily avoidable.  It is incumbent upon you to make sure that you are not choosing your surgeon based on price alone or aggressive marketing and that the doctor you have selected is experienced and reputable.  It is much easier to have a procedure performed properly the first time than to have it fixed.  Best wishes and good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Pain in First 3 DSays after Facelift

Pain is truly minimal after a facelift operation but all patients, even those with a very low pain threshold, are always provided analgesics to control that discomfort. Best of luck.