Closed Rhinoplasty 11 days ago. Will the swelling go down? Hate my new nose. (photos)

I had a closed rhinoplasty 11 days ago to reduce the hump, narrow the tip and to make it project less. I had my cast off 3 days ago and I'm really disappointed. I love my nose from the side but from the front it is so big and the tip is so bulbous. I noticed that my tip was really swollen as soon as I came back from surgery. Is this because it was narrowed? Will the swelling go down? How long will it take? I'm really regretting my decision now.

Rhinoplasty results may take time

Thank you for the question and the photo! Considering that you had a rhinoplasty only 11 days ago, it is still much too early to observe final results of the procedure. It may take up to a year for swelling to be fully resolved and the healing process to be completed. It is also important to keep in mind that you should avoid any contact sports or strenuous activities for a good period of time after your surgery. If you have concerns, an in-person exam with a board-certified specialist would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. However, it is most likely that swelling will go down in the months to come. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Swelling early on after rhinoplasty

Unfortunately swelling is part of rhinoplasty. Many people have 'buyer's regret during the first few days after. Some get the post operative 'blues'. It's understandable as u don't look great and u feel miserable. Swelling making a nose appear wide, especially the tip is common early on. U will be surprised how much it changes over the next several weeks! Unfortunately rhinoplasty is a waiting game!

Swelling after 11 days.

Thank you for you question.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and possibly some asymmetries early in the post-rhinoplasty recovery phase.  It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  At that time, any concerns should be evaluated with your Facial Plastic Surgeon.  Best of luck

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in nose after closed rhinoplasty

Dear peach1101,
  • It is absolutely normal to look wide on frontal view after rhinoplasty 11 days ago
  • In fact, if your nose looked perfect now, it would look unnatural and pinched in the future
  • Just give it time and it will get better
Best,Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Closed rhinoplasty 11 days ago and recovery/swelling

11 days after rhinoplasty, you are in the very first stage of healing. Swelling is expected and a good thing, because it can only shrink down. 
The majority of swelling goes down in the first 6-8 weeks.
Then you will have continued slower shrinking for 6-9 months.
Overall the nose takes years to fully heal, although the changes after 1 year are tiny refinements.
Please be patient and keep your follow-up appointments with your surgeon for a safe and happy outcome.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

At 11 days post op, it is way to early to evaluate your result.  You can expect swelling for weeks to months.  One side may heal faster than the other.  This is common.  Follow up with your surgeon on a routine basis so he can monitor your result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty Recovery

At 10 days, you are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD