Am I still a candidate for a full tummy tuck? (Photo)

I have a planned date for a full tt and lipo to the flanks and abdomen. I have since lost between 15-20lbs. I saw my surgeon when I was heavier. I have obvious creases in my lower abdomen now when I tense my stomach. Will lipo to my abdomen make my abs more visible?

You appear to be an excellent tummy tuck candidate.

Thank you for your question. It appears, based on your photos, that you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. After significant weight loss, sagging, excess skin is a common issue, and a tummy tuck can dramatically improve the appearance of the abdomen and highlight your new slimmer figure. Without having examined you, it’s difficult to say with any certainty if liposuction is advisable for you. However, I suspect that you don’t have a significant amount of abdominal fat and that you should be able to achieve a satisfactory result with a tummy tuck alone. Consult with your plastic surgeon to see if he or she believe that liposuction would be of benefit, but again I think you can reach your goal of visible abs with a tummy tuck and continued healthy lifestyle habits. Best of luck to you. 

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Questions About Liposuction of the Abdomen after Weight Loss as Part of a Tummy Tuck

Since the abdominal area now has no excess fat, according to the pictures shown, there is no need for liposuction of the abdomen.  There appears to still be some flank fat that could be removed with liposuction. The excess skin looks like it would warrant a full tummy tuck but the upper abdomen looks pretty good, and you may be happy with only a lower abdominal skin removal.  This could be an option for you, but could only be decided in consultation with your plastic surgeon about your goals and expectations for a result that would please you.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

You will have to accept scars

to have the skin removed... are you willing to do that?  Yes you have loose skin but not enough to warrant the costs, the anticipated results, and the risks in my opinion... but its really up to you.  Make sure you know where your scars will be, how long it will be, and what the liposuction is supposed to do for you.  Your photos do not show anything that can benefit from a separate, liposucton procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy Tuck

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is difficult to tell without personally evaluating you, but people who have especially slack skin in their midsection and abdominal muscle weakness need more than what diet and exercise alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are men who've lost a great deal of weight. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.

A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Am I a candidate for a full tummy tuck?

From your photos and history of weight loss, I think you will be a better candidate for a tummy tuck than liposuction.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has extensive tummy tuck experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

TT Candidate?

Congrats on your weight loss!
It does not appear as though you need more #liposuction.  You could benefit from an #abdominoplasty (#tummytuck) to tighten the skin on your abdomen.  

Book an in-person consultation with your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon to determine the best surgical plan for you as it is hard to give my best opinion from a photograph alone.

Lipo and Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss?

With your weight loss, it appears likely that you will not require any liposuction of your tissues but you are still left with the extra loss skin and soft tissues.  A tummy tuck-no muscle repair needed-would address your goals nicely.

Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who based on your examination and consultation can determine the best course of treatment for you.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck without lipo

It appears you will benefit from a tummy tuck but there does not appear to be a need for liposuction of your abdomen or flanks. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon now that you have lost weight since your last visit.

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck after further weight loss

In general, if you were a candidate for a full tummy tuck before, further weight loss will only improve the outcome of surgery.  

Jeffrey Ridha, MD
Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photo. You appear to be a candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedure. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!