Do botox injections feel different to filler?

In response to my questions thank you for all advice. I have been back to doctor and they refuse to admit bad result, 2nd opinion agrees bad result. I realise this sounds odd but is there any way I can tell if filler was injected instead of botox? V.strange small rice size sore bump next to eyebrow. Would a different sized needle have been used for filler and would it have hurt? Confused patient feeling ridiculous but very annoyed!

Botox and Filler Injections

Fillers and botox are injected completely different and in different syringes and needles. I suggest you speak to you physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox vs filler

It is difficult to differentiate botox and filler injections purely based on pain aspect as numerous factors are involved including skill of the injector, types of needles (both botox and filler can be injected with very superficial fillers), location on the face (certain areas of the face might hurt more), overall pain tolerance of the patient.
In general, regardless of how your physician mixes botox, you should not see any injection volume 6 hours post injection, whereas the whole idea of the filler is to volumize or fill grooves so the filler is visible. Botox effects can take 3-7 days and would typically address dynamic/motion lines. However, a bruise as a result of botox injection can still lead a transient sore bump that you're describing. If such bump lasts for over a week, you should definitely see your physician again for further assessment. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers versus Botox

Botox is a liquid injection and fillers are a bit thicker such as the hyaluronic acid filler.  A bump from Botox goes away in an hour or so and a bump from a filler can last for months.  Best, Dr. Green

Bump After Injection

Usually Botox is injected with small tuberculin syringe we use for insulin injection. Filler come in a box that we need to open.   Swelling from Botox goes down in few hours and for filler up to several days depending on typer of fuller used. 

Where are facial fillers placed

Botox is injected with the smallest needles and directly into muscular tissue for wrinkle treatment. 

Fillers have thicker consistency and require placement in soft tissue and this varies on the product type and how thick or thin the product is ..

Some fillers like Radiesse are placed directly under skin (nasolabial folds) and others, like Sculptra placed deeper. 

Botox vs Filler

Botox feel very different than filler as Botox is the consistency of water whereas Filler has thickness and substance to it.  In general, patients feel quite a bit more with filler.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Do Botox injections feel different to filler?

Thank you for your question. A photo or in person evaluation is required to provide and accurate answer. Please visit your injector or another expert injector to discuss your concerns. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thanks for your question. Yes, they typically feel very different to the patient when injected and get clearly different results.  If you are that worried, though, about what was actually injected, I would recommend you obtain your medical records from your physician. Best of luck to you.

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello Whattodo9,

Botox and fillers are injected in completely different ways.  Botox is mixed and drawn up from a vial and is a thin liquid.  Fillers come pre-made in syringes from the manufacturer (except for a few non hyaluronic acid ones).  Your physician injector would not confused the different injections for multiple reasons.  I would recommend you follow up with your injector to express your concerns. It is possible you had a small hematoma with your injection.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is superficial injection, filler is deeper

The Botox is injected very superficial with small needles. Filler uses larger needles and injected deeper. Filler won't cause muscle weakness.

Steven F. Weiner, MD