Belotero? Is it as good/safe as other HA products to (subtly) volumise cheeks/reduce nasal/labial lines?

have seen a doctor who suggested using Radiesse to increase cheek volume ( to minimise nasal labial lines). However I feel more comfortable with a HA product that can be undone if necessary. She has suggested instead Boletero as she prefers to work with it but there doesn't seem to be as much review wise around on this compared to Juvederm and Restylene...? Is it as safe? As effective? As subtle? All thoughts welcome.

Belotero can be a great choice for reducing nasolabial folds and smoothing fine lines.

Belotero can be a great choice for reducing nasolabial folds and smoothing fine lines, as well as for under the eyes or lip plumping. However, for cheek volumization, thicker fillers tend to work better. Juvederm Voluma or Restylane Lyft are better for long-lasting midface rejuvenation. Ultimately, the product is not as important as the person doing the injecting, however. Make sure that you see a board-certified dermatologist with experience in volumizing the midface and treating nasolabial folds for your injections.

Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Filler for Cheeks

Thank you for your question. Belotero filler is better for fine lines and tear troughs. Products that can add volume to cheeks or reduce nasal/labial lines would be Radiesse. I would recommend making an appointment with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options. - Dr. Dickerson

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Belotero for the under eyes and Radiesse for nasolabial folds and cheeks ...

Belotero is a thin hyaluronic acid product which is great for the lips and under eyes. Radiesse, Voluma, Juvederm are best for volumizing the cheeks and nasolabial folds.

Best
Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Cheek Volume to face

I would definitely NOT recommend Belotero for cheek volumizing.  It is a fine line filler and meant for areas under the eyes or fine lines around the mouth.  I would consider Voluma if you would like a volumizer that is an excellent filler for the mid-face.  I would consult with a physician who specializes in cosmetic injections and understands where to inject these substances. Best, Dr. Green

Cheek Volume

In my opinion, Radiesse, Voluma, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Restylane Lift are wonderful products to lift  and volumize the cheeks. Belotero is better for fine lines and tear trough.  Belotero is a very thin HA filler. It works wonderful in more superficial areas.  I would recommend the other products I listed for the cheeks.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Choosing a filler? Choose an expert instead

Instead of choosing which filler to put where; it is a better idea to seek out an expert injector.  Have an open conversation about expectations prior to treatment.  Belotero is a hyaluronic acid filler that works best in fine lines and smoothing.  It is generally not a good volumizer especially for cheek volume.  Other hyaluronic acid fillers will generally give more volume per syringe and are more suited to cheeks and folds.  Often, different fillers can be used in combination with more volumizing fillers used deeply, such as Voluma or Restylane Lyft, and supeficially fillers used to soften lines, such as belotero or juvederm.  Save yourself time and money and find an expert injector in your area.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Hyaluronic Acid Fillers for Cheeks

Belotero is certainly as safe and effective as other hyaluronic acid fillers, however it is better suited for some areas of the face than others. Belotero is one of the more thin fillers, and is generally utilized to improve superficial fine lines in such delicate areas as the crow’s feet or upper lip. It can be safely injected in most areas of the face, however due to its thinner consistency it will most likely make very little difference if intended for cheek volumization.

Radiesse is still a great product for certain uses, however due to the fact that it is calcium-based and like you mentioned cannot be reversed, it should only be utilized by very experienced injectors. If this is something you are not comfortable with, other suitable filler options could be Juvederm Voluma or Restylane Lyft. These fillers are comprised of thicker, longer-lasting hyaluronic acid that has been indicated specifically for volumizing and lifting the cheek area. Results can be as subtle or as dramatic as each patient desires, depending on where the product is injected, and how much is used.

You may want to return to your physician to further discuss your options, or perhaps get a second opinion from a board certified Dermatologist. Best of luck

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Belotero is great for etched in lines and tear troughs

Belotero has allowed us to solve the issue of etched-in lines that have been resistant to other methods. It is forgiving in a sense that it spills within the skin rather than stays as a clump. Therefore it is a filler of choice to inject superficially. If you want to have a volume effect I would recommend Juvederm Voluma or Radiesse. I think Voluma gives a more subtle effect out of the two.

Joseph Shvidler, MD
Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Belotero and Volumizing the Cheeks

Belotero is a Hyaluronic acid like Juvederm and Restylane and can be reversed just like they can. It is probably the best at treating lines as it is reported to have less tendency to the tendyl effect (blue line). It also works well in the lips and to do final reduction of nasolabial and marionette lines after they have been reduced by volumizing the cheeks. Radiesse is an excellent product to do that volumization as it is strong enough and works well deep. If you want a hyaluronic acid for this, the only real choice is Juvederm Voluma. Make sure whomever you see is an expert in the area. (See ExpertInjector.org and PlasticSurgeryToday.com/non-surgical/todays-liquid-lift-wrinkle-and-contour-correction/)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Uses of Belotero

Hello and thanks for your question. Belotero is an effective and safe filler. It works great for the tear trough area under the eyes, the vertical lip lines, and etched in superficial lines of the nasolabial folds. Because it is meant for superficial injection it is not an ideal filler for volumization of the cheeks. To increase volume of the cheeks I would recommend either Voluma or Restylane Lyft. Although filler to the cheeks can help improve the nasolabial folds, most people will still need some filler placed directly into the nasolabial folds. Make sure you find an experienced injector in treating these areas. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon