How to avoid hypertrophic scarring after mastopexy and augmentation?

I am almost 3 weeks post op ( mastopexy and augmentation - 300cc saline sub muscular) , my scars appear to be generally healing ok, only one small section underneath breast looks as if it is healing slower. I have hypertrophic scarring on my c section incision (1 year old incision). I am looking for advice on how to best treat my breast scars to achieve the best possible results. Is 3 weeks post op tok early to 'treat' the scars? I am 26 years old, healthy non smoker. Caucasian skin Thank you

Embrace Active Scar Defense

In order to minimize hypertrophic or keloid scarring, it is best to start scar therapy early in the healing process. A great solution for prevention of bad scarring is Embrace Active Scar Defense. This scar system is started once your incision is closed, which is typically 1-2 weeks after your surgery. Depending on how your body heals, apply Embrace for 8-10 weeks. It can be beneficial to use the active scar device for longer if you are prone to hypertrophic or keloid scarring. Embrace is removed and reapplied every 10 days. It is recommended that your board-certified plastic surgeon and dedicated team help you apply Embrace your first time so that you know how to use the product at home. Once you complete treatment with Embrace, you can begin using a silicone scar gel to help further reduce scar appearance. Good luck in your recovery and congratulations on your new body makeover!

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Scar managment

Thanks for your inquiry.  Two products that I use include Scarguard and Biocorneum.  These two topical products are available at many plastic surgeons office.  Please discuss with your surgeon if your wounds are ready for such scar managment products.  Good Luck.

Scarring options

Hello, thank you for your recent question!  I recommend numerous scarring therapy for my patients.  The best recommendation would be to apply embrace scar therapy to the incisions as soon as you can. Embrace is a type of silicone scar sheeting to help archive the smallest lightest scars.  Once you are finished with the embrace sheeting I then have my patients begin a physician grade scar gel such as skin medica scar recovery gel twice a day until the scars fade.  Don't forget to keep your scars covered in any tanning beds or when in the sun with a SPF of 50 or greater. Best of luck!

Scarring can be minmized

but not prevented as some individuals are going to scar no matter what you do.  But the paper tape and silicone products can certainly help minimize your risks.  Having less tension on your wound would also help too.  Avoiding the transverse scar across the bottom helps the most so if you're a candidate for the vertical technique, you should go with that over the anchor scar.  Best wishes....

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Scars

The periareolar and vertical scars are least likely to become hypertrophic, but the inframammary scar does have a tendency to do so. In the first few months, mechanical support with paper tape and/or silicone sheeting/tape is the most effective way of minimizing hypertrophic scaring. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Embrace scar therapy

It Is not too late to start the embrace scar therapy system to help improve the appearance of your scars. The treatment takes approx 8 weeks and requires placement of a pre stretched silicone sticker that is the only fda approved scar treatment that has level one evidence behind it. Basically it removes or decreases tension on the scar and therefore improves the final appearance. Best of luck. 

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD