What should I take after Mommy Makeover Surgery to optimise results?

Hi there, I have found so many suppliments that people have recommend I wondered which will help and which won't. Protein, 2000mg per day vitC, 500mg Zinc, Iron Phosphate, Multi Vit A,B,D, CoQ10, Probiotics, Arnica, Bromelain, Magnesuim, Amino Acids, Quercatin, Aloe Vera, Centella Asiatica, Glucosamine & L-arganine! and Fish oils 2 weeks after op. Thanks in advance. Sarah

Hello! Thank you for your question! The recommendations for the use of these homeopathic medications are surgeon preference. I typically suggest the use of Arnica Montana to decrease swelling and bruising. It is an herbal medication that is propagated from the seeds of an herb. I, as well as my patients, have seen some benefit with the treatment in the postoperative period. Although there is little evidence to its effectiveness, I believe there is some benefit, and no harm. I recommend 4-5 tablets under the tongue 4x/day for 3-5 days prior and 5-7 days after the procedure. Both are similar with similar action - I prefer Arnica. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Preparing for a Mommy Makeover Procedure & Recovery

I suggest to my patients  beginning supplements such as  #bromelain or #arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.   Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery. 

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. 

Preparation for mommy makeover

If you are already healthy, it is unlikely that supplements will contribute to your result. Aim to be at your ideal weight and optimal fitness before surgery if you want to contribute to obtaining the best result possible.  You'll need a few weeks off from exercise to recover. but you will bounce back more quickly if you are in good shape before the operation.

David Stoker, MD

If you are a healthy individual then supplements are probably unnecessary in achieving a speedy and full recovery.  As far as I know, the products you listed will not interfere with healing either. Your surgeon will provide you with a list of medications and supplements to AVOID prior to surgery.  That is important.  If taking supplements make you feel better about your process then take them. Good luck. 

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

Most patients do fine without any supplements you should stop fish oils a week before surgery as it can "thin" the blood. Taking Arnica before and after surgery is fine.

Fred Suess, MD

Healthy diet is all

Thanks for your question.  If you are an otherwise healthy individual, there is nothing you need to take after surgery.  I recommend a healthy diet that is heavy on protein for the 6 weeks after surgery to maximize healing.  Otherwise there is no data to support any of the other products, as far as I know

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

What supplements to take after mommy-makeover?

The very fact that you've had children and survived well would indicate that you shouldn't need a lot of special supplements.  If you're healthy enough for the surgery, you should heal very well.  I recommend that my patients plan ahead to have ready-made/frozen meals that are easy to make.  Don't underestimate your
'support team'...and. make sure that they're on-board with your decision. No smoking.  Make sure to work closely with your plastic surgeon and his/her staff.  They want you to succeed, and can be a great help. Best of luck to you.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Mommy make-over - what supplements to take

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Many things are recommended for healing - without any scientific evidence to support them.
  • Interestingly, we humans are alive today because we had hearty ancestors whose bodies could heal from serious injuries - with no medical care. 
  • So our bodies know how to heal - all we need to do is to support our natural healing
  • Chiefly - no smoking, take necessary medicines and follow your surgeons instructions.
  • A high protein diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables is better than supplements.
  • Please do not take any supplements or other over the counter medicines for 2 weeks before and after surgery without your surgeon's approval.
  • Vitamin C can help healing. Iron may be needed if you lose a lot of blood. Probiotics may avoid a yeast infection from antibiotics. Arnica and bromlein may reduce bruising.
  • Apart from that - have a well qualifieid plastic surgeon and follow her/his instructions. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

It is best to consult with your chosen Operating Surgeon re/ this. Most all of the Board Certified Plastic Surgeons give their patients post-operative instructions  during their pre-op appointment

Homeopathic meds for tummy tuck healiing

There are no studies to support the use of specific herbs or vitamins for healing after tummy tuck. These products are medicinally active and may even cause undesirable reactions.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD