A plea - best treatments for bags, fine wrinkles, darkness AND veins under eyes?

I am 24 with darkness around my eyes since childhood. I now have permanent bags and the skin feels loose (looks crepey) under eyes. To cover up darkness I wear makeup which makes fine lines worse. I have many blood vessels (big blue ones encircling, little red/purple ones vertically). My confidence is at zero and is stopping me from living my life, being on the receiving end of taunting comments. I want to fix whichever issue will make the best difference. I am so grateful to whoever can reply.

There are many reasons for dark circles besides just dark pigment in the tissue which include bulging of the lower lid fat pads, which are unrelated to weight, and a deficiency of fat below the fat fads, called a tear trough. Most expert experienced artistic plastic surgeons have a variety of procedures at their disposal to produce excellent cosmetic results in the appropriately selected patient: temporary fillers like Restylane, long-lasting micro-fat grafts, blepharoplasties, and combinations of procedures. There is no one best procedure. Each has benefits and potential drawbacks. There is often a limit of what can be achieved with the darkness, depending on its anatomical cause.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

There are many ways to treat dark circles, as well as under eye wrinkles and bags. It is important to note however, that the majority of times the cause for discoloration is genetic and due to the viability of the blood vessels below the skin. A combination approach is always needed to get the best results in this area and this includes: topical skin care, laser and/or radiofrequency treatments, and fillers if placed appropriately.
All my patients are on topical lightening agents, typically a vitamin C serum product in the AM and a brightening agent and/or a vitamin A based product in the PM. Sun protection is essential.

Resurfacing and tightening are essential. My patients get offered a menu of options, for which a combination gives the best results. Light salicylic acid peels help give textural and pigment improvement; nonablative lasers (Fraxel or Clear + Brilliant) can be used to tighten and improve fine lines/wrinkles and crepe skin; fractional radiofrequency devices (Sublative, Viva) are cutting edge and improve texture, tone, and wrinkles with very little downtime; radiofrequency with pulsed electromagnetic fields (Venus) are amazing for puffiness and bags, in patients who do not want eyelid surgery; appropriately placed fillers can replace lost volume, cover up the vessels and fat pads below improving the appearance -- patients should pick a well experienced practitioner to prevent complications such as Tyndall (blue discoloration) and irregularities, one that uses a cannula for injection will help give results with little bruising or swelling; microsecond Nd:YAG laser treatments (Laser genesis) has produced dramatic improvement in discoloration in some of my patients and is safe in dark skin types, similar to the radiofrequency devices. For lifting, ablative laser resurfacing such as co2 laser combined with monopoloar radiofrequency deep heating (thermage) give amazing results. The key is for a patient to see a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in all the latest devices and techniques so the persons goals can be met by a combination approach of individualized treatments and skin care. In some cases, those who smile and have crepe skin or under eye wrinkles, a small amount of neurotoxin (botox, dysport, xeomin) strategically placed in the lower eyelid skin can improve wrinkles dramatically and give the eye a more "open" appearance.