6 days post-op; do you think I should be concerned or do you think they will even out? (Photo)

So I'm 6days post op and growing more and more concerned that they will be different forever I see a massive difference in size. I never expected them to be perfect but I think this is far from it. I had 400cc high profile unders? I hope someone can help me

Be patient

but certainly let your surgeon know of your concerns so it can be followed during your recovery.  Asymmetry is common after such procedures as some breasts swell more on one side than the other and it takes more time for your results to be appreciated.  If you change in size is accompanied by more pains, a hematoma always has to be considered and addressed if present.  If you woke up this way, its more like just swelling.  

6 days post-op; do you think I should be concerned or do you think they will even out?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your recent surgery.After breast augmentation surgery, the implants initially look very high, but they settle over time. It takes 2-6 months for implants to settle fully. It's too early to judge your results, so be patient and take care of yourself as you recover from surgery.Stay in close contact with your surgeon and express your concerns during your clinic visits. It's normal to have concerns about the appearance of your breasts as you adjust to your new look. Your breasts will look dramatically different in the coming weeks-months.

6 days post BA

Thanks for your question and pic.  It's too early to make any decisions as  breasts will change in shape and size over a 3-6 month period.   We don't have your before photos but every woman is asymmetric to some extend.  Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and give it some time. Best of luck.  

Asymmetry

Thank you for your question. My first question is, "Was there a size discrepancy preoperatively?" If there was, then placing the same volume in each breast will cause a similar degree (albeit augmented) of asymmetry. If your breasts were roughly similar in size preoperatively, placing similar volume implants should result in a symmetric outcome. At 6 days out you are still very early in the recovery and swelling is quite common. It is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other. Early post operatively, if one side is significantly more swollen/larger than the other, you may have some bleeding into the pocket or hematoma. Your surgeon needs to know about this sooner rather than later. It can take several weeks to months for the swelling to subside and you see the final results of the augmentation.So please be patient. I know it isn't easy.Communicate with your surgeon about your concerns. He or she wants to know if you have questions.Best Wishes,Michael Morrissey, MD

Breast asymmetry after implants

Thank you for your question and photographs.Since you are only 6 days after surgery, there is still a lot of swelling. This swelling can take about 3-6 months to resolve, and then the final result will be seen. Give yourself some time. However, if you notice an acute change in the size of the breast, there may be bleeding, and that would need to be addressed urgently. BEst of luck to you.

Early concerns over differences between breasts

6 days post operation is too early to come to a conclusion about the surgical results. Please do not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling concerned. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts right after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

So I would like you to know that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. Also know that any asymmetry that existed in breasts before surgery will continue to exist as breast augmentation only works to increase size of the breasts, and it does not fix asymmetry.

Now, if your breasts were different in size to begin with, and your plastic surgeon did not use different sized-implants, then you may address your concerns by having a clear discussion with your surgeon.

If your concerns are about implants settling down at different rates, then rest assured that the pectoralis major muscle and the surrounding tissue will get accustomed to the implant and loosen up to allow both implants to descend to the same length.

You may achieve final results in 3-6 months. If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

For now, maintain strict follow-up with your surgeon and share your concerns. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD