Tummy tuck incision.....is it opening???? (photos)

Hi I'm 12 days post tummy tuck and I'm having trouble where one of my drains used to be. It is still leaking fluid the amount is decreasing day by day and the skin next to it on my incision seems to have opened up! I'm currently cleaning the wound daily with saline, antibiotic solution and then applying betadine and dressing the wound with gauze and softpore dressings. What should I do in regards to wound care??? Will this heal by itself....I'm terrified!!!

Tummy Tuck Incision

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen . It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard , Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.Now, it does appear that your incision may be opening, so it would be best to contact your surgeon right away and go in for an appointment to have the area evaluated. Best of luck to you!

Dr derby

Thank you for your question an the photos. You will need to attend this by your surgeon asap because this is not a normal situation. it is very important to talk with him/her regarding wound healing. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD