What risks are associated with larger implants, compared to smaller ones?

I'm exchanging my silicone 275cc 510 dual gel implants for silicone high profile 520cc round implants, in October. I've seen on this site references to increased risks with larger implants. I don't recall my surgeon highlighting any additional risks vs my first surgery or impressing other concerns (other than sleeping in a sports bra) Could anyone explain for what reason and why larger implants are riskier? I'm 5'8", 136lb, breast dia of 14cm and my surgeon is very experienced (NHS & private). TIA

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

Thank you for your question.As implant size goes up, and the natural amount of breast tissue you have goes down and the less natural a result do you get. One technique to have a more 'natural' result while still having a large augmentation is to use shaped implants. That being said, this relationship still holds and with bigger implants the final result tends to be more 'sculpted' or 'augmented' and more obvious or easier to identify even when in clothes. Choosing an implant is a complex process and I definitely recommend setting up a formal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  I hope this is helpful.Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Larger implants means larger potential problems

Larger implants are heavier and so place more strain on the tissues around them. This can result in thinning which would in turn cause visible rippling and possible dropping of the implants. It is a matter of whether the implants are large for your body.

Richard Baxter, MD

Thank you for the good question. It is not necessarily that larger implants are more problematic;  it is that the use of a breast implant  that is TOO  large for a patient's frame can be problematic.  

Generally speaking, every patient undergoing breast augmentation surgery should understand that their anatomic starting point will limit the outcome of breast augmentation surgery.    In other words, a patient's starting anatomy will limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely. The use of a larger breast implant (than what is safely "allowed" by the patient's anatomy) can be problematic;  potential problems include breast implant displacement/malpostion issues ( such as bottoming out, lateral displacement, symmastia...)  and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.

Generally, in my practice, I suggested patients aim for an outcome  only as large as "necessary" to make them happy;  pushing the envelope again can be problematic.  

Keys to success with this type of revisionary breast surgery: careful selection of plastic surgeon. Careful communication of goals. Careful execution of procedure with appropriate adjustment of breast capsules and selection of breast implants type/size/profile that will achieve patients goals safely.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.