Is the risk of developing BIA-ALCL eradicated when implants are exoplanets?
Doctor Answers 3
Is the risk of developing BIA-ALCL eradicated when implants are removed?
Risk of BIA-ACL in implant capsule
- Given our current understanding, BIA-ACL is related to chronic irritation from certain kinds of implants.
- Removing the implant and the capsule should remove the risk.
- The disease is so rare that we do not have data to prove this yet and never may.
- I always remove abnormal capsuiles and I always have them examined by a pathologist -
- To date, there have been no unexpected findings but there is a lot we don't know about implants, it seems a reasonable precaution -and all my patients want it done.
- But I would not consider it standard practice here or in the UK.
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.