Are my rhinoplasty goals realistic? I would love a professional opinion. (photos)

I'm 19 years old and looking into getting a rhinoplasty. These are some edited pictures I done (not very well lol) of what I would like to achieve or something similar. I would love to hear a professional opinion on what would suit my face the most. My issue is I feel my nostrils are a very strange shape, is this something that can be changed?

Yes, you are probably being realistic, but you may have 'overdone' one bit

Hi, thanks for the question, and I'm sure it took a lot of guts to post your photos!

I can't tell for sure without seeing you, but I think you are probably being very realistic - the best sign is that you have a very clear idea of exactly which parts of your nose you want improving. That's a great start, and makes a surgeon like me much happier than hearing something like 'just look at it, it's all awful, please make it better'.

I think what you have done with the tip is realistic, but I do think you have overdone the 'dorum' of the nose and given yourself something heading towards a 'ski-slope' profile. I'd aim to do less here myself. The ski-slope look was very much an 80s 90s look!

I really can't comment on your nostril shape as I can't see all of them on the photos. A view from below would help, but your best bet is to speak to a surgeon in person!

Good luck.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good luck.

Are my rhinoplasty goals realistic?

From the profile view that you have provided, you do have a ptotic nasal tip, overprojection of both the dorsum and the caudal end of the nose. I also suspect you would have a wide nasal base, but I would need to see a frontal view to confirm.

An open rhinoplasty would certainly address your concerns. The morphed view does not perfectly address all your concerns as the tip area still appears ptotic. I think a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon in your area would be useful.

Kind regards.

Are my rhinoplasty goals realistic?

Kind regards.

Rhinoplasty Considerations

Congratulations on researching rhinoplasty information regarding enhancing your nasal appearance. You are an excellent candidate for primary open rhinoplasty with cartilage grafts, though in my view your self-morphed image is not exactly your "best" ideal. You have a long nose with a dorsal hump, ptotic nasal tip with decrease nasolabial angle, an amorphous shape to your tip cartilages with elongated nostrils. Rhinoplasty considerations could include shortening the overall length and improving tip shape and rotation. Your dorsal hump could be reduced to a naturally pretty profile with a supra-tip break. ( your self-morphed image showed too much taken off your bridge, especially higher in the nasal bone area which would not suit your face ). Tip rhinoplasty could deproject your nose to further improve your nostril length. Overall you are a pretty girl and natural rhinoplasty enhancements can soften your appearance and result in an attractive feminine nose in expert hands. Consult with a truly respected and experienced surgeon and discuss your goals in detail. Examine the physicians' actual patient results to assess surgeons' skills. Keep researching and learning more about rhinoplasty for this will truly help guide you. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Considerations

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Realistic

It seems reasonable. Tip refinement depends on the cartilage and skin and it's the least predictable based on photos. but overall it is a realistic goal. Best wishes

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD

Realistic

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD

Changes possible through open rhinoplasty

Hi Newnoseresearch - your goal photos are really helpful although the side view only gives some of the picture. It seems you are looking for a slight reduction in the nose, a bit of tip refinement (lift) and correction of the alar retraction (the nostrils are pulled back in the middle). Changes such as these can be achieved through an open rhinoplasty approach and in fact, are common goals for many of my patients looking for nose reshaping surgery. Best to see a fully accredited plastic surgeon with a special interest in rhinoplasty for a more in depth discussion about your situation. Good luck!

Remove the bump, raise the tip up, bring the entire nose closer to your face. See the morph I made.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_newnosesearch.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

I remove the little bump, raised the tip up, and the brought the entire nose closer to your face. I'd love to hear what you think of the morph.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.