Will I need a lift after explant? (photos)

I'm 34, have breastfed 2 children. Implants are 275cc McGhan 510 dual gel, placed under the muscle. 9 years old. Left ruptured (right in picture) Any comments are welcomed Thanks in advance

Thank you for the question and the photo. Consult with your surgeon regarding the implants that are in place. The two major implant manufacturers offer replacement if the implants fail within 10 years. I would recommend removal and replacement to maintain the volume of the breast. If you choose to not have the implants replaced, you would not necessarily need a lift, which elevates the position of the areola on the breast mound.I would recommend replacing the implants. Best Wishes,

My first question is why are they being removed rather than just being replaced??If you desire explantation, I doubt a lift would be indicated based on the information and photos.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Will I need a lift after explant?

Thank you for the question. Short answer: much will depend on your physical examination ( factors such as degree of breast ptosis, current position of breast implants, number of previous operations, assessment of breast skin quality/elasticity…) and your plastic surgeons' clinical judgment.   

Longer answer: in person consultation will be necessary to provide you with precise advice. The main issue of concern is adequacy of blood flow given the extensive breast surgery planned. In my opinion, if the degree of breast lifting ( distance of movement of the nipple/areola complexes) is significant, then you may be better off having the procedure performed in 2 stages. If the degree of breast lifting is relatively small ( shorter distance of movement of the nipple/areola complexes) then it is likely that the procedure can be performed in one stage. If in doubt, in my opinion, the two stage approach is safer.

In "borderline" cases where there is doubt whether breast lifting is necessary or not, I advise patients to undergo explantation only and to give their breasts the benefit of the doubt (allow for about six months to pass after breast implant removal) before deciding whether breast lifting would be beneficial.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Lifts are to move the nipples up

It doesn't look like your nipples are too low in the photos but an exam is needed to confirm. If they are high enough, no lift is needed. High enough means that they are above the crease at the bottom of the breast.