Can I have labiaplasty on the NHS? (Photo)

My labia is huge it causes me pain aswell as embarrassment. What are my options? Is there any non surgical options?

Can I have labiaplasty on the NHS?

Dear Bababa12,

Thank you for your questions and photo. You are not alone in being uncomfortable with your labia. This usually starts during puberty when estrogen stimulates the breasts and labia to develop and grow. Like the breasts, the labia enlarge, can become uneven and change color and thickness. Teenagers start to become uncomfortable with routine activities and exercise, clothing, have hygiene issues with menses and BMs, and feel embarrassed and frustrated by these limiting changes. Most pediatricians don't counsel the moms of pre-teen girls about these changes and Ob/Gyns don't ask when doing a pap smear if the tissue is bothersome or gets in the way. So women feel like they have no one to talk with or who understand what they are going through. After surgery, most feel like they have been freed from their anatomy that has been weighing them down.

Having performed over 750 labiaplasties, I can see by your photo that you have both extra labial tissue and clitoral hood tissue on both sides. I can't tell if your clitoris has any adhesions from these photos. There are two categories of labia reduction surgeries...those that trim the edges (the traditional edge-reducing procedure) and those that preserve the natural color and thickness of the edges called the various wedge techniques (inferior, posterior and central). The wedge techniques have a slightly higher complication rate with edge separation, worst with the central wedge due to the tension on the suture lines (about 7% in the literature) than the trim method.  There is no non-surgical method I know of to make the labia minora significantly smaller so that you could be comfortable and happy with the appearance.

It is important for your surgeon to know whether you want to keep your natural edges or have new pink edges, and to know how much tissue you want left behind. It is also very important to go to a surgeon who knows more than one technique and how to deal with complications when they arise. Be sure to research cosmetic gynecologists and uro-gynecologists who have extensive experience with labiaplasties and hoodoplasties in order to minimize your risks and obtain the best outcome. See lots of before and after pictures and discuss with them how they address post-op complications.

I cannot comment on if the labiaplasty is covered by the NHS.  Here in the United States, cost will vary depending on the experience of the surgeon (remember cheaper is not always better especially when it comes to your genitals) and geographic location. I charge $5500 for a labiaplasty and that is all-inclusive (facility, anesthesia, pre-op bloodwork, all post-op visits the first year and supplies) except for prescription medications (numbing cream and pain meds). When the clitoral hood reduction is combined with a labiaplasty, it is an additional $2500. My office helps with travel and hotel arrangements and we have a nursing service available upon request. We provide a supply bag for post-op care including a donut cushion to sit on, a soft squishy ice pack, a perineal squirt bottle to wash off the urine when voiding, tucks, Dermaplast numbing spray, stool softeners, Hibiclens anti-bacterial soap and pantyliners. Patients usually do very well with the ice pack, numbing spray and either ibuprofen or extra strength Tylenol. In my hands, swelling and bruising are minimal and recovery is quick and better than expected. Please contact my office at the link below for more information and for more answers to your questions.

I hope this information is helpful and best wishes in finding the right doctor for you.

Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOG
Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

San Antonio OB/GYN

Labiaplasty with hood reduction

You're a perfect candidate for a labiaplasty. Pain can be caused by pulling and pinching in clothing. Find an expert and don't just go local. Make sure they have reviews and good before and afters!

Who is a Labiaplasty Candidate

A #candidate for a #Labiaplasty procedure is one concerned about the appearance of her labia or experiences pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.

#Non-surgical treatments with #Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients.Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in less than one hour with a local anaesthetic. Many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. Some procedures may include treatment of the clitoris or clitoral hood to further enhance this region.The “trim procedure” is a straight incision along the edge of the labia to reduce excess tissue.A “wedge” is the removal of a triangular shaped part of the labia with the remaining parts placed together to look completely normal. There are “modified wedges” and Barbie Doll procedures as well as other varieties of treatment.The Barbie Doll reduces much of the Labia Minora so that it is not visible beyond the Labia Majora.There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.

Typically, #labiaplasty is not covered by most health plans since it is aesthetic, or #cosmetic in nature. If you have “functional” disorders such as pain, it may be worth checking your policy. Although we do not have contracts with any #insurance companies in my practice, we can provide patients with papers to submit to their carrier after the surgery. This way they can seek #reimbursement for the procedure from their carrier.

Labiaplasty and insurance

Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure, not covered by insurance in the United States, there isn't even a proper Cpt code for labiaplasty. Doubtful it is available and covered by the NHS. Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in cosmetic labiaplasty, prior to having surgery.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty covered??

It definitely appears that you would be a candidate for labiaplasty , however it is doubtful that it would be covered by insurance. If you have severe symptoms that affects your daily quality of life significantly, you may be able to get coverage in that situation, however it is unlikely your surgeon would have much experience and would not be a cosmetic surgeon. This could certainly affect the outcome and Arsthetic apoearance. 

Dr Robert D Moore

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Options for enlarged labia minora

Your only option is surgical reduction of the labia minora and clitoral hood. Limiting your search to NHS gynecologists will likely result in a botched procedure because your labia need expert management of the clitoral hood. Look for an expert and travel far if necessary, but don't expect a "free" surgery to end well.

Can I have labiaplasty on the NHS?

Thank you for your question and for supplying your photograph.  Unfortunately in nearly all cases labiaplasty is considered not "medically necessary" and will not be a covered by NHS.  Most options at correction are surgical in origin as there are no non-surgical options available to reduce the size of the labia minora.  A labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, allows for a more symmetrical pairing, and oftentimes corrects your listed issues.  Hope that this helps.

NHS services

Dear bababa

Appreciate your question and i have had patients from the UK which have told me it is not covered by the NHS.  I have also heard that on rare occasion they might cover.  The only way you will know is ask

John R Miklos MD
Cosmetic  Vaginal Surgery
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Can I have labiaplasty on the NHS?

It's a good question. There is a big variation of "normal" female vulvar anatomy. You appear to have normal anatomy, but do have excess tissue of the labia minora and clitoral hood.

The most important thing however, is how YOU feel about the appearance of your vulva. If there are areas that you would like to change, then it's worth having consultations with expert vulvovaginal cosmetic surgeons to discuss your goals and see if there are procedures to help get the look that you desire. I am unsure whether the NHS would cover this procedure, but I think that it is very unlikely.

There are procedures to decrease the size of the labia minora and reduce the clitoral hood. Make sure you find an expert who can show you their results.