Should juverderm cause hard lumps in the lips after 3 months?

I had 1/2 syringe juverderm in my lips 3 1/2 months ago. All fine initially and was happy with them until about 8 weeks ago when one side of my lip become sore and a hard lump appeared. I then woke up with a very swollen lip on one side causing them to become misshapen, it also gets very painful and swells right up to my nose! It goes down after about 3 days and then reappears around every 2 weeks in another area of the lip! It's becoming a pain! What could be the cause after all this time?

Lump from Juvederm

Juvederm is a great injection for the nasolabial area and lips.  The great result that you initially had is the norm.  However, if you have a lump that is painful you should return at once to your treating physician.  It is possible that you have an allergy or an infection of some kind.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results. 

Should juverderm cause hard lumps in the lips after three month?

The delay that you describe could occur with either granuloma formation or formation of a biofilm? For either it would be unusual for the areas to go totally away in one area and appear in another although biofilms can spread. I would suggest a small punch biopsy during an active period to attempt to determine exactly what is going on

Kathleen J. Smith, MD
Decatur Dermatologic Surgeon

Schedule a follow up with your injector and discuss your concerns.

Schedule a follow up with your injector and discuss your concerns. If the lump consists of product, you can have it dissolved by your injector.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Juvederm

Without a full exam and history it is hard to make a diagnosis.
That said, although rare, inflammatory nodules and granulomas can develop even with the hyaluronic acid fillers. This is unusual, but can happen. I would highly recommend you contact your injecting physician to take a look at your lips.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Delayed granulomatous response

Sounds like a delayed granulomatous response, but ultimately it needs to be worked up.  I simple punch biopsy during an active bump from the inside aspect of the lip could give you the answer you need.  Sight unseen, I would consider that first.  Sometimes, just nicking the lip will allow for the product to extrude out, and that may help the inflammation to resolve.  Good luck.

Adrian M. Guevara, MD
El Paso Dermatologist