Will my boobs go back to what they were if I have my implants removed? (Photos)

Just want some advise I'm 15 weeks PO I'm having problems with my left (right in pic) I need more surgery to tighten the pocket... my right (left in pic) is hurting and I can't lie on it without pain and when I bend over it hurts... I'm really considering having my implants removed I was a 32c before I'm not a 32E/F I had 440cc Motiva implants ... Will my boobs go back to what they were if I have my implants removed ?? Any advise is helpful I'm booked in for a re op the 31st of this month X

Will my boobs go back to what they were if I have my implants removed?

Thank you for your question and photos.  After placing implants the body begins to change to accept the implants and one part of this change is to stretch and grow new skin in a tight envelope.  I would predict you may shrink back down but not to your original baseline.  Please discuss this with your surgeon.

Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Removal

Instead of removal, you might consider going smaller. You were not happy before surgery with the size of your breasts, and may not be happy after removal. With smaller implants, you may find they are more comfortable, and you might have fewer issues with stretched skin.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants - should I have them removed?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.
  • If you have your implants removed, chances are they will be little changed from before
  • But it is truly not possible to accurately predict.
  • I suggest you discuss this thoroughly with your surgeon before making a decision either way.
  • I assume you are under the care of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
  • In the UK, most will be members of the Royal College of Plastic Surgeons.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I am sorry about the problems you are experiencing. Although no one can predict with certainty, based on your description and pictures, I think that you will end up with a very nice outcome ( similar to your preoperative status) once your breast implants are removed. In short, you have a lot of favorable characteristics on your side, making me optimistic that you will end up with a very nice outcome.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back) and the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin).

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.
Consulting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person may be helpful. The attached link may be helpful to you as well.

Thank you for sharing and I empathize with your complaints.

Without seeing preop photos and knowing all the details of your surgery (incision and pocket placement especially) I can only assess the post-op photos you have posted. I will say the result does look 'over' augmented with the skin significantly stretched. This appearance is typically from implants being too large so I don't see how tightening the implant pocket would help.

Your skin quality appears good so I would expect your breasts would 'shrink' to a reasonable extent after implant removal. However I do think your breasts likely would have a slightly deflated and droopy look compared to before your procedure - though this may correct itself with time.

Be that as it may, I think removing the implants may be extreme. Rather you may still get a result you like (without the pain and stretch) by switching to smaller implants. I would seriously consider this before proceeding with a reoperation so you minimize the number of procedures you need to have.

Ben (Uzoma) Gbulie, MD

Will My Breasts Go Back To The Way They Were Before If I Have My Implants Removed?

Thank you for this excellent question.  The photographs you sent indicate a great deal of tightness of your breast skin even at 4 months post breast augmentation. 

Because of this apparent tightness, it's a reasonable assumption that your breasts will return to their pre augmentation state.  Obviously, this is an assumption based on your comments, time since augmentation, and your picrtures.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Depending on the amount of time that your implants have been in place you can anticipate your breasts to return to their pre-augmentation appearance once the implants are removed.  Depending on your desired goal appearance I think some adjustment to your current result would lead to an improvement in appearance - choose somewhat smaller implants to better fit your chest dimensions and relocate the implants to underneath your chest muscle for a more natural look.  Talk to your surgeon about your current appearance and seek in-person second opinions from other board certified plastic surgeons for the best treatment advice. Hope this helps.

Implant Size

Most likely you are having problems because your implants are too large.  If you want to keep some volume, consider replacing them with smaller ones.  Otherwise, you could have them removed, and since your surgery was only 15 weeks ago, your breast should go back to their pre-surgery status.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Implant removal may not be necessary

Hi, I have added a like that might be helpful...

Hi charlottemorris171. Sorry you are having problems after an otherwise rewarding procedure.  Your implants appear to be too large.  They appear to be above the muscle and widely spaced apart with asymmetric pockets-removing them altogether is a consideration, but switching to smaller implants with a pocket adjustment and/or placement under the muscle is a great option that allows you to still be augmented somewhat.  Your before examination is central to selecting the right size implants and placement-be sure to express your concerns to your PS before the 31st so you have a clear understanding of your next anticipated outcome.  Best wishes,

THERE IS HOPE

Tight, high, asymmetric, painful, post operative breasts  can result for many reasons.  Oversized implants, hematoma, capsular contracture, etc.   A thorough physical examination and review of records is prudent.

If you remove the implants, they will shrink back to near original in less than a week in many cases. If there is residual hematoma, or capsular contracture, it should be removed.  When the implants are removed, the pockets are filled with saline antibiotic solution and the incision hermetically sealed.  This acts like a waterbed and avoids sudden collapse. As the fluid reabsorbs, the breast tissue shrinks.

If you do not have hematoma or capsular contracture, revising the pocket and reducing the implant size may solve the problem.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS