Does anyone think compression garments are essential and why?

I'm booked for surgery (up lift and TT) in new year my surgeon doesn't believe in the use of compression garments , wondered if anyone felt they were essential and why? It will be drain free surgery.

Garments

Hello, it sounds like your surgeon is planning a drain free TT...so the surgery is different than the traditional TT technique. With no drain, I assume they plan to use internal quilting or tacking sutures to hold the abdominal wall skin flap close the abdomen. With out the tacking sutures...surgeons rely on abdominal binder for compression of the abdominal skin flap against the wall to prevent fluid from building up and to facilitate fluids drainage into the drain tubes. 

You doctor is using a different technique that does not mandate compression. 

I bet the other people you spoke to or read about had the traditional procedure requiring drains and garments...

I would not worry about it. 

Compression is essential to allow the tissue to heal and avoid the chance for a seroma to form. That is particularly important if your surgeon does not plan to use a drain. 

Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Compression Garments Following your Mommy Makeover

The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Are Compression Garments Necessary after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Compression garments can help with the swelling. My patients who take a break from wearing a garment often report that their swelling increases.

My patients also report they feel greater abdominal support during those first six weeks after their muscles have been repaired. 

(I do a no-drain tummy tuck, so I don't rely on the garment to keep the skin flap pressed against the muscle layer.)

If your surgeon has had a good experience without having his patients wear garments, you probably will, too. But now you're aware of why many plastic surgeons ask their patients to wear them.

Click on the link below to see an unusual tummy tuck.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Compression afte surgery

Thanks for your question.  As you can see, you will get many different answeres to this question.  In my practice I would say yes, but I am not aware of any study that proves they are necessary.  Generally, I am performing liposuction with all of my tummy tucks, so I like the compression garments to help encourage resolution of swelling and to encourage skin contraction in the areas that have had liposuction.  I have noticed that my patients like their garments and often feel that their swelling gets worse when they don't wear their garment.  They will often wear the garment longer than the prescribed 1-2 months.  You should folllow the advise of your surgeon.  Good luck. 

Compression garments for a mommy make-over

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

Tummy tucks and breast lifts were done before compression garments, so no,
they are not essential.

But they are very useful -
  • easier to put on secure dressings without tape which hurts to remove,
  • supports your muscles after the tummy tuck, reduces pain,
  • immobilizes the surgical area, less risk of infection (possibly),
  • reduces early swelling
  • reduces aching from surgical swelling.
I feel more strongly about garments for the tummy tuck,
Your existing bras can be used to substitute for a surgical bra.

Most important with all garments:
they must be comfortable.
If they are painful, you must contact your surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information is helpful. Best wishes!

There is no evidence that compressive garments are essential in body contour surgery.

Although many of us like patients to wear them there's no conclusive evidence that they actually make a difference. Follow the prescriptions of your surgeon.

Although, compression garments may not be considered essential, I have found that most patients will be more comfortable and have less swelling with the use of a light compression garment.  If you would like to try a garment be sure to ask your surgeon, first.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon