Would a chin implant help my weak jaw and short chin? (photos)

I have a weak lower face and a weak jaw/ short chin. These have always bothered me but now as I age I am seeing the formation of deep lines and jowls despite never having smoked. I would like to gain balance in my face generally and firmness in the lower face and jaw. Would this be possible to achieve with an implant or genioplasty? Or would it require orthognathic surgery to actually move the jaw forward? I'm 44. My face tends to look square or rectangular.

Would a chin implant help my weak jaw and short chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

The photos also show that there is excess fat in front of the cheeks along with "jowls" and excess skin below the chin. These combine to create a rectangular shaped face. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. While a chin implant will create harmony and balance to the lower face, by itself it won't decrease the appearance of "jowls". This would require some form of SMAS facelift.

Hope this helps.

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Facelift and chin implant candidate

The goal of a lower face and neck lift is to tighten loose facial and neck skin, lift the jowls, tighten lower facial and neck muscles, and removing the fatty deposits in the neck. Placement of a chin implant is performed to bring the chin profile forward to augment the bony mandible. For more information and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Weak lower face

Without photos it's very difficult to assess your candidacy for surgery. 

All of the procedures you mentioned have a role in strengthening the lower face and improving the jawline and jowls.  I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a surgeon comfortable performing all of them (including the orthognathic surgeries) to discuss your individual goals. 

Good luck! 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist