Bulky thick nose. Will they be able to make this look normal? (Photo)

I had open rhinoplasty done a year ago and it looks a little better than before but still droopy and I think its still huge, I can the difference from the side but not from the front. I am having revision surgery in a few months but really worried as my skin is so thick especially on my tip. Will they be able to make this look normal?

Revision Rhinoplasty

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Your nose can almost certainly be improved, but you need to be certain about who is doing the surgery. See the morph I made.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_missdavis123.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands. I elevated  the tip of your nose quite a bit. It does look like your nose is better than before surgery, but it seems to me that another large change is desired, and you don't want to have another operation if only a small change is being planned, or if the surgeon you are using is only capable of making a small change.

From the front, it should be possible to narrow the tip as well, especially if the tip is being elevated. The advanced techniques to raise the tip also give good opportunity to narrow and straighten the tip. You seem to have skin that is a little thicker than average, and that might put a limit on the amount of narrowing that is possible, but I'd be surprised if some meaningful improvement isn't possible in skilled hands.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on whether to allow your primary surgeon to perform your revision. At a minimum, you need to see his revision before and after photos, showing good elevation of the tip, and you need to see computer imaging, so you know whether his goal represents enough of a change for you to be happy.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon