What can I do for this awful neck?

I am very unhappy with this awful neck of mine. I am 43 and have Botox and fillers on my face which doesn't match up with my neck. I have young children and don't feel like I have the downtime required for a surgical neck lift although I imagine this would be my best option. Any ideas for realistic results from non surgical techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Answers (7)

Options To Improve The Neck's Appearance

It's best to begin by consulting with a surgeon in-person. The presence of banding down the front of the #neck, and, amount of excess skin and condition of your skin are among some factors which determine what treatments will best rejuvenate your neck . 

Necklifts are designed to remove only deep grooves and #wrinkles, not fine ones. Smoothing out every tiny line in your face would leave you with an eerie, unnatural, and undesirable result. The goal should be to make your necklift look as natural as possible, simply turning back the clock a few years.  #Liposuction is often used during the neck lift if necessary.

During your initial examination, your chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend non-surgical alternatives to address your concern. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in #neck lift procedures is important to ensure you are receiving the best advice, care, and surgical experience possible.

Neck Treatments

A combination of Fraxel and Thermage would definitely help you.  Aquagold which can be used to deliver Botox and Belotero is an excellent way to treat the neck and décolletage.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Neck lift

The neck is a very difficult area to treat compared to the face. It is much less forgiving than the face because the skin is thinner, there is less fat in this area and it  ages differently than the face. For the creepy area in the front of the neck I would try some mesobotox(light botox - more dilute) One can also inject a light soft filler like Boletero Soft in the necklace lines and under the chin to provide some support. Skin tightening technologies such as radiofrequency devices and/or light fractional treatments can also help.

Cynthia Stolovitz, MD
Montreal Physician

Neck problems

Hey newneck-

I would ask you what bothers you specifically? Is the skin wrinkles or the muscular banding? 

- the large V you see in your neck is the sternocleidomastoid muscle- this is ok - nothing to do there

- if you look closely- you can see platysmal banding just under the chin in the shadows- this muscle edge is what we treat in lower facelift/neck lift... it can also be treated with botox which could buy you some time

- the skin- the ulterapy could work - laser resurfacing done lightly to your neck would also be beneficial in rejuvenating your neck. 

Hope this helps and God Bless!

Dr. Robb

Non-surgical treatment options for neck

There are a few non-surgical options that can help to tighten the skin of the neck.  I would say the two best options would be Ultherapy, which uses ultrasound to create heat and tightening, or Fractora, which uses radio frequency to produce heat and tightening.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
18 reviews

Nonsurgical options

another non-surgical option other than what was already suggested would be botox to the platysma bands and microdosing of the skin.  I suggest this as you have prominent bands across the front, and what the microdosing will do is fix the creping of the skin.  Some practitioners may not be comfortable with it, but if you ask around (some people call it a nefertiti botox neck lift), you may be happy.  The best way to determine whether you are a good candidate for this is during a physical exam and see the motion of your muscles and skin during animation - however, I figured I could give you another option other than has already been suggested.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
38 reviews

Neck tightening

To improve the crepiness and laxity that we see in the photos, I would suggest the Ulthera. This works with ultrasound energy, and has the ability to stimulate new collagen and tightening. When tailored to the patient's needs this procedure can offer some dramatic results and is my favorite. It takes 3 months to see results but you will continue to improve up to 6 months, results can last 2+ years.
Kally Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Kally Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon
40 reviews

Ask a Provider

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors.
FOR FREE.