Should I use antiperspirant?

I have hyperhidrosis which causes me to sweat a lot on my face and I would really like to do something about it, but I also suffer from a skin disease called hidradenitis; which affects my apocrine sweat glands, I know I have different sweat glands in my face but I would hate for the hidradenitis to develop on my face due to clogged pores from the antiperspirant (if that's how it works). I would just like to know if it's safe for me to use? Is there is a risk of this happening? Thanks in advance!

Hyperhidrosis Treatment(s) - Other Things Besides Antiperspirants Directly to the Face

Thank you for your question about hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating.

It is possible for you to get an acne breakout on the face from topical antiperspirant, but not hidradenitis suppurativa.  The face has eccrine sweat glands, not apocrine sweat glands. Hidradenitis does not affect the face.

Other treatment options besides antiperspirants include:

• ETS Surgery, Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy Surgery
  • Botox Cosmetic which lasts for months and needs repeated (injections)
  • INFINI which uses radiofrequency to reduce sweat gland density
  • MiraDry which uses microwaves to reduce sweat gland density
  • Ultherapy which uses ultrasound to reduce sweat gland density

I hope this at least gives you a basis to further research and learn more information.

To determine what might best suit your needs, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have hyperhidrosis treatment for excessive sweating.

Facial Hyperhidrosis

Hello. Topical antiperspirants are too irritating to apply to facial skin, so I would not recommend applying antiperspirants to your face. Botox therapeutic can be quite useful, especially if the sweating involves the forehead or hair line. Please see a qualified dermatologist to discuss treatment options.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Craniofacial hyperhidrosis treatment options

Antiperspirants don't work for facial hyperhidrosis.

Read my ebook about craniofacial hyperhidrosis on the link below. It is a FREE access ebook.

Dr H Karamanoukian

Facial sweating

Microscopic Botox injections work for this in the face. Also, the Infini should help this out as well. I think that antiperspirants will lead to other skin conditions and not work well.

Steven F. Weiner, MD