Labiaplasty on 10th of June. Today my doctor said it looks very good. Any suggestions? (photo)

Should it look like that? I feel like they cut something they should have kept. The labia does not go all the way till the back end. It is this normal?

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon. 

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks, so this swelling is to be expected. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months and firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. If you have not been advised to do something like this then it may be helpful to continue the healing process. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help. Direct massage may be useful as well. Continue working with the area and evaluating your healing, and if you continue with concerns or worries then visit your surgeon as they come up.

1 week postop labiaplasty

At one week from surgery, you'll have to wait to see how things look once it is fully healed and all the swelling is down.  I agree with the other posters that the upper portion of the labia were not reduced in your case.  However, this is not done in every case and I was not there during your preoperative discussion(s).  Should you be dissatisfied with the final results, additional surgery is possible in time.

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Today my doctor said it looks very good. Suggestions?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  It appears that your surgeon resected the tissues found along the lower portion of each your labia minora but did not carry the removal to the upper tissues of your labia and clitoral hood to leave a smooth transition. Combine the swelling from your procedure and there is a significant discrepancy in your current results.  Allow your results to mature over the next 3-6 months.  Once fully healed an in-person examination can help determine your desire for a revision/reconstruction procedure.  Best wishes.

Labiaplasty result

Your lower left labium is removed while your upper labium are untouched.  You have a lot of residual labia so you can be reconstructed and repaired. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about three years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I  might need to advance tissue to the bottom while reducing your upper labia.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.
Gary J. Alter, MDBeverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Is this normal?

Hello and thank you for your post. It would be helpful to see your preoperative photos to see what changes have occurred post procedure. I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your surgeon to ensure that your expectations are addressed.

Kimberly Singh, MD

Lower labia amputated; upper half + hood untouched.

As my grandma used to say, "....The proof is in the pudding..." Does it look OK to you? Does it "feel" OK during sex? Are you satisfied with the outcome? These are the important questions. Your surgery was obviously performed by a general Ob/Gyn untrained in plastic technique, probably "under insurance" in a local hospital under general anesthesia. Your surgeon basically amputated the lower portion of your labia and, not understanding or being trained in how to handle the top of your redundant clitoral hood folds, just left them be and stopped halfway up.
If it looks and functions OK for you, don't sweat it. However, if you are dissatisfied, please please please do not go back to the same doc, who doesn't have a clue how to perform an aesthetic labiaplasty/hood reduction, but see a trained, experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon who can make it right. You will not get anyone good to repair this "under insurance,"and ofttimes it will cost more for a "revision than if you had seen a skilled experienced surgeon in the first place.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty on 10th of June. Today my doctor said it looks very good. Any suggestions?

It is difficult to give you specific advice without knowing what your anatomy down there looked like before your surgery. You are also still swollen at 10 days post op. From your photos it appears that your excision was uneven with a more aggressive resection posteriorly and a less aggressive excision anteriorly. At this point it is best to share your concerns with your doctor, but also give everything time to heal. Once you are healed, if you still have concerns you can have your current PS address them or see someone different if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Poor Alignment

It doesn't take an expert to know that you did not have an expert surgeon. They did some type of trim technique and didn't align the tissues properly. There are lots of so called "experts" now but very few actually know how to do this procedure properly without just doing a scissors amputation under local anesthesia. It's very surprising to me. It's like a cab driver telling you they can drive when they've never done it before. You'll probably want a revision. See an expert this time. Do plenty of research on Realself first and don't be afraid to travel. You need to wait 6 months before any revisions in order to let the tissues settle. 

Is it normal?

Dear ChrisDXB:
Thanks for sharing  It is difficult to say whether they cut something they should not have.  I see what you area saying "the labia does NOT go all the way to the back end"  but this doesn't mean the surgeon did anything wrong. We do NOT have before pictures here and thus I can NOT compare the results.  Many women do NOT have labia which go all the way to the back or down to the perineum.  Often this is the result (but not always) of having a baby and their is a separation of the perineum and stretching of the skin of this area i.e. on each side of the vagina introits near the perineum.  This gives the appearance of the loss of the posterior ( near the perineum) labia.  So I can't tell you that your surgeon did anything wrong.
After a closer is also difficult to say if there is a problem  (as all photos are 2 dimensional and an actual exam would better) especially with your left labia minora as it might have been amputated.  It is just to difficult to determine with the photos and an examination would be more diagnostic. It also appears that other areas show a still protruding minora and though it may not bother you the lateral prepuce is rather large.....but in many women this is not an issue.
 I appreciate the photos but even photos are not always helpful in a full diagnosis - you would best benefit form an examination.   If you consider a second opinion you really need to find a surgeon in the UAE who has experience and you need to be able to voice in person to that surgeon the exact areas which are bothersome to you.
I am sorry I can not be of more help.   Best of luck in your care.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~  Dubai