I had first laser session 2 weeks ago and I see slight dark spots on arms and legs.

Hi, I just had my first laser hair removal session 2 weeks ago. My arms are showing *slight* dark spots and has a little bit of itchiness. Is this normal? I can see slight dark spots on my legs as well if you look closely. Also, I had laser on my full legs, including the buttocks and I have broken out into itchy red bumps there (the hair there has never yet been removed before laser). Is this also normal and will it go away?

Laser hair removal

Laser hair removal treats the pigment in the follicle, or root, of an actively growing hair.  Hair has 3 stages of growth:  active, transitional, and dormant.  At about 2 weeks following a laser treatment, it is typical to see new hair growth as hair that was in the transitional and dormant stages begins to actively grow.  The hair that was affected by the laser is pushed out at this time as well, those are likely the small dark spots you see.  Be patient and continue with your treatments.  Regrowth should be less after each session.

Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal and Dark Spots

It is difficult to give you advice without a picture. However, this sounds like superficial burns and need to be treated with a topical therapy. There is a risk of pigmentation problems if not treated. Do not get any further treatment till this heals. Make sure you are seeing an experienced doctor

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Dark spots after laser hair removal

These are superficial burns. These need to be treated with appropriate topical therapy to limit the risk of pigmentation problems. Make sure the doctor is using the appropriate laser for you skin type and has experience with laser hair removal. Don't get further treatment until you heal from this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD