I am an A cup bra, weighing approximately 120lbs and height of 5ft 5in trying to get to a D cup. What cc should I do? (Photo)

I was wondering if someone can recommend a size for me? My surgeon is recommending anatomical shaped implants but I'm not sure what cc to get...i am leaning towards 400-450cc...do you think this will look good on me?

Implant sizing

Thanks for your question. I would estimate that, to go from your current A cup to a D cup, you would need an implant somewhere in that 400-450cc range. That's a fairly big implant for your frame, but not impossible to use. The shaped implants tend to give less fullness at the upper part of the breast. I'd discuss your choices one more time w/ your surgeon prior to your procedure, just to be sure. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Implant size to go from A to D cup

Breast Implant Size is a combination of subjective and objective criteria.There is not a direct correlation between the cc's of a breast implant and the corresponding cup size, as cup size is an inexact measurement that varies considerably among companies and even within the same company. Online consultants will not be able to guide you as well as surgeons who perform in person consultation.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Considering 400-500cc implants

Hello, I would look to your surgeon to assist with picking implants, because they have done a proper assessment including likely taking detailed measurements.  This helps them to recommend implants that match your breast dimensions.

I am an A cup bra, weighing approximately 120lbs and height of 5ft 5in trying to get to a D cup. What cc should I do?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,
I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Choosing an implant size

Factors to help decide the most appropriate implant size and style fall into two categories: patient goals and patient anatomy.  Regarding goals, you want to make sure you adequately relay your "goal look" to your surgeon.  Words like "natural" are not always helpful as natural to one patient may look unnatural to another.  I encourage patients to bring photos such as what you displayed with your post.  In my practice, I also use external sizers as well as 3D imaging to further empower patients such that they can feel confident with a chosen size or narrow size range.  In terms of anatomy, assessment of your skin thickness and laxity, specific chest wall measurements, and nipple position are other factors which influence implant selection.  An in-person consultation and examination will help guide you through this process.  Good luck! 

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Sizers

Ask your surgeon to use sizers, this way you can see and feel how you are going to look after the surgery. its really difficult to imagine how you are going to look.

Dr.Luis Redondo 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

I am an A cup bra, weighing approximately 120lbs and height of 5ft 5in trying to get to a D cup. What cc should I use

An implant size to take you from an A cup to a D cup would probably be in the range of 400-500cc. I tell my patients that sizing is can be a difficult process. As surgeons, we speak in terms of cc's where as patients want a particular cup size. In my practice, we have patients place sizers in their bras. I also want to see pictures of what they want to look like using a website called Loveyourlook.com. The website provides information on that patient's weight / ht and size of implant. Of course I use sizers in the OR and try to match pictures of breasts she provided. Despite all these methods, a plastic surgeon cannot "guarantee" a post op cup size.

What CC should I do?

Hello Meenzzie. I appreciate your questions. Unfortunately, there's no way to give you specific answers without seeing you in consultation and performing an examination. Measurements of your breasts will let a surgeon decide whether it's around 400 or 450. You have one breast that's bigger than the other and should consider using different sizes. Have you tried on that volume to see what it does for your figure? If not, I would suggest you do.

As far as sizing, I also suggest you consider some principles I use to "guide" patients when choosing a breast cup for their breast augmentation. A key for me is using the Mentor Volume Sizing System of breast sizers to demonstrate how these different volumes will look on your body. You will have to go into the office to do this:

1) Explore reasonable options for breast implant size, usually two to three similar sizes, which allows the patient to visualize how different volumes affect their breast cup.

2) The best guide for a final breast implant size recommendation is derived using measurements from the patient’s own breasts and chest.

3) When measurements are considered then options for sizes can be presented.

You can see results of 400 to 450 cc round implants in the link below!

Best wishes always,

Aldo Guerra, MD

What size implants

It is difficult from photographs to recommend what size would look a certain way in each patient. In our office, we use a three-dimensional photography system called Vectra in which you the patient can see the different size implants on your body. Breast implants in general will look best when the base diameter more closely approximates but does not radically exceed the base diameter of the natural breast. Sometimes we can't go from A to a D without undue risk. Ask your plastic surgeon for their recommendations. Good luck.  

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS