Would augmentation alone be able to help create a fuller bust without a lift? (photos)

I have been hoping implants alone will help create a fuller look without having a lift. I am not wanting the scarring. Can you show me before/after photos of similar surgeries so I can see results of ptosis + implant without a lift?

Implants alone will give you fuller, but saggier breasts

You probably should resist any surgery. Here is why: You are a borderline case for breast lift. Thus scars may not be justified. Yet, implants alone will enlarge you at cost of even saggier appearing breasts. Thus they may not be justifiable either.My advice to you is to do no surgery at all.

Lift vs implant

If you want your breast fuller and are happy with the shape of them, then an implant will be fine. Keep in mind an implant will only "fill our breast up" it will not "lift them up". They will look just like they do now, they are just bigger and fuller with an implant only. If you feel this will meet your goals, then an augmentation should be fine. If you are unhappy with the position of your breast and feel they are too low, then an implant will likely not satisfy you and you will want to consider the lift. A lift will "lift them up" and put them in a higher position, change the size of the areola and "lift" them off of your chest. Often times both of these procedures are combined to achieve an optimal result. By lifting them and adding volume, the breast will not only sit higher on your chest but will also have the nice fullness from the implant. In your case a breast lift with augmentation is likely going to give you the best result.

Dr Scott Ennis

Breast Lift

Thank you for your question. Based on your photo, you will likely need a mastopexy (breast lift) in conjunction with implants. I recommend discussing these options with your board certified plastic surgeon, who can individualize your treatment plan.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hi Dianne!!  Sure there are many pictures showing a lift with just implants linked to the journal article I placed below.  Please put an index card in your breast fold. If your nipple is at the edge of them card or below, then you would be a candidate for a lift, either a vertical oranchor or areolar incision. If your nipple is above the edge, you could be a
candidate for an internal lift called the dual plane. The video below explains the dual plane internal lift.  I also attached an article from a peer-reviewed journal to give you an even better idea.  I believe the dual plane and implants alone will do it for you, and that you will not need a lift. Be sure to seek a consultation with a BC PS to be sure. All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Mastopexy is Necessary

Hello,You won't find any examples of people with your breast appearance on my site who only get implants. That's because its a bad idea and I won't perform a surgery that leads to a suboptimal outcome.  Your relatively large breasts will droop even worse with an implant only, and if a very large implant is placed, as will likely be recommended to you, you will still be droopy as well as too big. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all aspects of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation alone or with lift?

If you are that adversed to scarring on the breasts (and some patients are), then you could just go with just implants for now but don't expect too much perkiness or upper pole fullness.  The will look fuller with implants alone but will still look like they are sitting a little low on your chest and the nipples may still look a little low.  You can always do a lift later if the shape is not as perky as you want.  Most likely you will need a vertical/ lollipop scar lift in that scenario.  If you were willing to accept the additional scars on your breasts, I would recommend a submuscular implant with a vertical lift at the same time.  This would definitely give you the maximum perkiness and fullness possible and can also lift up your breast fold and bottom of our breasts a little to push the implants up a little higher.  I would recommend you see a few board certified plastic surgeons that have a lot of experience with doing breast implants and lifts.  Best wishes.

Would augmentation alone be able to help create a fuller bust without a lift?

I don't think that you will have a great result without adding a lift. Without a lift, the implant will sit above the breast tissue. The breast tissue will sag off of the face of the implant. This is called a waterfall deformity. I would consider a breast lift or a lift/augmentation.

This is a great question and a point of struggle for many patients. I have literally just encountered you situation in the past couple of days. First, to really know I would need to examine you, but from your pictures I would say yes you need a lift. I never ever use an implant to try and lift a breast. The implant is chosen based on the size you want to be and what fits your body. The lift is to elevate the breast so it sits right on top of the implant not hanging below it. In your situation I can almost guarantee you will be very unhappy without having a lift. From your side view the nipple looks like it is on the lower part of your breast and it appears to be hanging below the fold a little. I can not give you exact advice without an exam, but it would be a huge mistake to try and use a larger implant to lift a breast. A saggy breast with a big implant is just a bigger saggy breast. In your situation I would tell you that you are almost better to not have implants if you can not get past scars for a lift. Take all of this with a grain of salt because we do not know each other but if you were in my office this is the real discussion we would be having. I had a patient who adamantly refused a lift on one side. The other side did not need it. I told her she would be unhappy and she was and then came back for a lift. If you pick a really good surgeon who knows what they are doing then trust the advice you get.  Sincerely,DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

You need a Breastlift

Hello,  thank you for your question and photos.   You need a breastlift along with your implants.   I'm sorry you to tell you that but if you only get the BA without the breastlift you will only make the ptosis worst.   Try to get a consultation with a certified plastic surgeon in your area for a correct treatment. Have a great day.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

To do breast aug with or without a lift

The problem with every saggy breast is the absence of volume and a low nipple position relative to the breast fold.  Most patients can accept a significant improvement in the shape and fullness of the breast without having a perfectly lifted breast.  Adding volume to a breast will lift the breast and in most cases of grade II-III ptosis, this is enough to satisfy the patient.  If you imagine the distance of the nipple from the clavicle as a fixed distance, the more the nipple swings up and outwards away from the chest wall the more the breast is lifted.  A higher projecting implant can help to lift the nipple as much as an inch to inch and a half.  The nipple will be pushed up and out from the chest when the proper sized implant is used.  Doing a lift will have a nicer shape but at the expense of significant scarring on the breast.  Two things have to happen when doing a breast lift.  The person has to scar well and the surgeon has to stitch perfectly or the result is less than perfect.  Here in Hawaii where I practice there is about 15% of the population that do not scar well.  I have learned to make pretty saggy breasts look significantly better with just implants alone.  This takes proper positioning of the implant, choosing the right size and projection of the implant.  When this happens the patients are quite happy without having to do a breast lift.  Worse case scenario if the patient is not satisfied with this conservative approach she can always do a breast lift later.  We have not burnt any bridges by taking this conservative approach.

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon